Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, am going to embark on fitting a xmas pressie for my 147 this next week Avic 320bt, got no problems with fitting that but want to respray or apply film to console so it all matches up properly, so question is how hard is it to remove the knobs from the climate control panel to make it easier to refinish? had a search but cant seem to find an answer, any help appreciated.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry didnt take any pics of the removal but the unit is only held in with 2 screws and then 2 wiring plugs, once its out, heres the bummer, cant see a way of getting the knobs off but I got the rubber grip bits off and just worked around that so once its done the rubber goes back on and covers any bits you couldnt get to- I used 3m dinoc on mine which was a pain in the bum to fold and squish under the knobs but looks good once done, I guess spraying would be easier cos could just mask off the 3 knobs and 3 lcd screens and go for it with the paint, would maybe put something in the temp sensor opening if painting tho cos dont know what paint would do in there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was thinking they'd have to be masked off too as I will be spraying after seeing how good that looks on my brother's car. I had the card holder and cup holder plastic off the other day and it looked like the climate control part was anchored up by the radio. Is that right? I'll probably end up ruining all the wiring behind it with paint anyway!

·
Premium Member
7,293 Posts
It was some time ago, so I can't exactly remember how I did it :p, however, after removing the climate control panel as you did, I definately completely removed the knobs to spray the panel.....

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It probably is possible but I didnt fancy trying to pry them off with all the lights etc attached, guess if I had a spare panel I might have tested on that first, somebody will probably come on and tell me how simple it is now! :eek:

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking they'd have to be masked off too as I will be spraying after seeing how good that looks on my brother's car. I had the card holder and cup holder plastic off the other day and it looked like the climate control part was anchored up by the radio. Is that right? I'll probably end up ruining all the wiring behind it with paint anyway!
No its actually one of the easiest dashes I have ever removed, if you had the cup holder out you'll see two screws at the left and right side of the panel that holds the boot realease etc switches, its a torx head so worth having some of those, once these two are undone just ease the panel forward, the switches are joined to the climate panel, then undo the wiring plugs, one for the switches at the top, its a kind of lever release then the whole panel should lift out, then there are 2 plugs at the bottom for the climate, again one a lever release type then a normal push the tab and pull type, and thats it it will all come out together, its really that easy :thumbs:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can see the torx heads, but I've only taken off the covers for the cup/card holders and the surround and they're behind the cup/card holder unit. Does that whole thing need to come out? It does slightly slide over, I might be able to squeeze a screw driver in...

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah the cup holder just clips in, give it a wriggle and it will come out quite easily, I just opened both trays and got fingers in and tugged at the bottom edge and it pops out

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got the trays out of the way today and started on the climate control unit. Which bit from the picture is the bit you remove (largest of the two plugs that goes straight in the back)?

It looked as though there were three different bits of it that can separate. The large clip bent away easy but the whole thing didn't want to move out easily and I didn't want to risk severing any wires.

Did you manage to get the climate control knobs off?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only the small bit with the wires in unplugs-I thought the same as you that it all came out but if you press that little black tab its only a small plug going into a bigger unit, I never did get my knobs off just the black rubber rings so I could get mostly behind them, am sure there must be a way but didnt want to force anything, if your sparaying it am sure that would be enough then just plenty of masking tape

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for your help edraven... on err your thread :lol:

Here's how mine ended up - notice I even did the hazard light button! Started out as a silly suggestion from a friend at work when we were painting all the bits of trim, then I thought hmmm good idea it does stick out like a sore thumb, lets black it out!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts