Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 05 face lift 147 a month ago and when I drove away I noticed the horn didn't work, took it straight back and after 10-15 minutes they'd "re-punched the horn connector" and it was working, tried it today and it's gone again.

Before booking it in with the nearest dealer (not too close!) where should I be looking for the horn/connector so I can try to fix it myself.

Thanks alot,
Kev

N

·
0 Posts
Mine failed. They replaced the actual horn
switch, iirc.

Was hornless for quite some time.
Very frustrating. :mad:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alfa looked at it for an hour! Turns out to be one of the horns is blowing the fuse, they've unplugged onto until a new horn comes in...sounds rather squeeky for now but at least it's getting fixed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Horns used to be adjustable. If it is an adjustable type, you will find a lock nut and grub screw on the back of the horn. Turning the grub screw adjusts the tone. Actually it adjusts the vibration rate. Sometimes adjust fiddling with the adjustment gets them working, then afterwards, set it back to where it was.

Also you could remove it from the car and bench test it across a battery. Perhaps the wires leading to it, are trapped or bare? In which case, just replacing the horn won't cure it. I have never known a faulty horn, to blow a fuse before.

·
Registered
145 Posts
po77sy,

Sorry for delayed reply.

The simplist way to check a horn, is to pull the wires off the back and connect it across a battery. If it works, then it's has to be either the feed wire to the horn or the earth from the horn.

Checking the feed. (Ignition on)
Remove wires from back of horn. One wire should be 'live'. Connect a spare light bulb to each wire in turn.The other side of the bulb should be laid against a good earthing point. If the feed is good, one of the wires should light the bulb.
If not, check fuses, relay (if fitted), look in handbook.

Checking the earth side. (ignition on)
Do the above first. Reconnect the live wire back on the horn. Take a piece of spare wire, place one end on the other horn terminal and take the other end of the wire to an earthing point. The horn should work. If it does, then there is a break between the horn earth wire to the steering wheel and/or a problem around the steering wheel contact area.

I have tried to keep the above simple. An insufficient current (feed) or a high resistance earth path, may also be a problem but you would need a meter to check this out. Also checking the earth circuit from horn to steering wheel could be done by light bulb and wire or ohm meter.

Can help more, if required

·
Registered
4 Posts
going to get my hands dirty at the weekend
i know that its a loose wire cos it started to work again then stoped
again.....
kevster did alfa replace the horn itself ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anybody able to let me know, preferably before the sun goes down, where the bloody horn actually IS on these things? I've peered into every likely spot and can't see anything that looks 'horny' - need to get it sorted for MOT, grrr.

Edit: I've found 'them'. Had them off, put them across a battery and found they both make pleasing noises.

Also took my fear of airbags in hand and took the front off the steering wheel - nothing obviously broken there...
Also, the wheel buttons all work, and they seem to be drawing power from the same place, so it can't be a power problem at the wheel, by my reckoning.

Now I'm hunting for the relay, if it has one - which the handbook, obviously, doesn't provide directions to ... if it does.

Bloody Italians! They might make nice cars, but they imbue them with myriad ways to vex their drivers!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Looking from the front your horn is at the front left, infront of the washer bottle.

Its a twin horn.

This used to happen ALL THE TIME on my old 156, the spade connectors to the horns kept falling off - complete cr*p.

It may be the same case for you.

PS you need really small hands for this - in the end to do mine properly the bumper had to come off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine was caused by the steering wheel after all.

Warranty paid for it, and its diagnosis, luckily.

Something to do with a bit of metal, apparantly... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts