Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone can help me with this?

I noticed this morning on my 147 2.0 twinnie (2001) that the main beam lights are not working. the switch appears to be working as i can hear it click and the blue indicator on the rev counter comes on (both pull back flash and push forward stay on positions) i have checked the fuses and they have continuity as do the bulbs.
The relay in the engine compartment fuse box appears to be working as i have swapped it for both horn and fog light relays and it works in both fogs and horn position ( obviously i have tried the horn and foglight relays in main beam position to no avail.
When main beam should be on there is no voltage to the bulb connector.
One thing i did notice is that this morning when i put the fogs on the green idicator light turned red ???? (it is backto green now) and when the fogs are on the dipped beams go out and when main beam was working dipped beam lights stayed on when main beam working ( not sure if this is correct or not)
This is driving me mad and i was wondering if anyone has had any similar experience , or knows what the problem might be.

Many thanks in advance
Rod

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
correction to the above
the dip beams DO work when fog lights are on BUT dip beams go off when fogs are on AND i put the light stalk to main beam on position . i can hear the relay in the under dash fuse box clicking when i do this . I believe this relay is to turn off main beam when fog lights are on? my main beam will not work at all fogs on or off and dips are going off when fogs are ON AND stalk in main beam position ? i am very confused:confused:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi there i believe it is normal operation for main beam not to work when fogs are on , in fact the relay under the dash is clicking when i turn fogs on with stalk in main beam position. but i dont think that it is normal for the dipped beams to go off when fogs are on and stalk in main beam position and it is not normal opperation for main beam not to work at all when fogs are off and stalk is in main beam position

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just adding a few thoughts and observations.

checked the fuse box ( under bonnet ) at left and right main beam fuses and no voltage with lights on and stalk in main beam position.

as no power to fuse box in engine bay and main beam switch working ( relay under dash clicking when fogs on and switched to main beam position also dash blue main beam light working) it would seem there is a problem between the under dash fuse/relay box and engine bay fuse/ relay box

i am no electrician but could this be caused by a short/ dry joint/ earth especially as dipped beams are going out when fogs are on and stalk switch in main beam position. or could a faulty fog light switch be stopping the main beams coming on

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 2001 147 twinnie specifically the main beam circuit. i have checked/ changed fuses bulbs and relay in under bonnet fuse box and i have located a relay under the dash that contacts when lights are turned from side lights to on and also clicks when fogs are turned on. any help ideas appreciated

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just a thought does anyone know where the earth is located for the main beam circuit , i think it must be a continuity problem as the switch is not working in both flash and on position and i have not been using uprated bulbs so i hope the wiring is not burnt out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem yesterday on our 2001 147 1.6, with no lights.
After going through all fuses and relays, it ended being both bulbs blown at the same time.

Thank you for having an excellent forum.
Asger Jørnow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts