Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 Ti 147 is doing funny things with the passenger headlight. When the key is first turned on, there is the sound of an electric motor working and if the lights are on, the passenger headlight beam jumps up and down. Also, sometimes while driving on low beam it will flicker on and off but comes back on when high beam is selected.
Any suggestions where to start looking for the gremlins? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
It sounds as if your headlamp adjustment motor is faulty or is no longer making contact with the reflector, hence the motor noise and jumping up and down.

Have a look at the wiring to and within the headlamp, I had a dicky fog lamp (MK1 147 had fogs in the headlamp cluster) which I couldn't fathom out why it kept intermittently working, but the wiring to the connector had frayed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, and I have read on another forum somewhere that the headlight bulbs are difficult to get to (seems to be the case with mine as well) and it is easier to remove the front bumper first??? Where exactly is the headlight motor located; just behind each headlight or where?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Look for some wires going to part of the headlight where there is no bulb connection. That should be the level control motor/gearbox unit. They are hard to get to on my 156, so no doubt the 147 is similar! Not sure if going to the hassle of removing the front bumper is worth doing just to replace some bulbs. If you have small hands it's not too bad. But if you need to remove the headlight units for complete replacement generally the bumper does need removing first.

On a side note, I found this article online. Which may very well be your issue.

From that article, it looks like that the adjustment motor/gearbox is behind the black cover.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, finally got one of those Round Tuits then got the front bumper off and headlight unit out. The faulty item (low beam) is as shown below...or at least I hope this is the problem. Anyone else played around with these headlight/motor units? The original problem is that the light flickers on and off and when first turned on, the headlight adjusts up and down for a few seconds.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
That's a xenon or HID bulb there, and doesn't look standard to my untrained eyes.

If you're getting flickering it might be a faulty igniter.

Reactions: Fruity

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
That's a xenon or HID bulb there, and doesn't look standard to my untrained eyes.

If you're getting flickering it might be a faulty igniter.
I agree.

Are there stickers on the headlight with warning labels of electric shock etc? That would indicate it is not a standard basic halogen headlamp. Often in cars Xenon, or HID lamps are self-levelling, but not always and they can move about a bit when started.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
If someone's crammed a set of aftermarket HIDs in there that may be interfering with the level adjuster.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I have managed to secure replacements bulbs here in NZ at $54 each and so far everything is working as expected. The headlight alignment motors can be heard operating when low beam is first turned on but whether everything keeps working at night is really up to the Alfa Gods...

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Just in case....
Check the terminals in the headlamp multiplug. One may be burnt or show signs of overheating. The earth terminal is the likely one.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The quick and dirty 'cure' would just be to disconnect the wires from the electric motor. This would stop the noisy random aim changes, but of course the aim would be whatever it is at whatever manual adjustment...

Regards,
John.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts