Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My head unit has developed what I understand is a common problem of turning itself on.
I would like to replace the head unit myself with the minimum of fuss. The obvious choice would be to replace like for like, but I wondered if there was a better alternative out there.
The head unit is a Blaupunkt Alfa 937 CD NS with a Blaupunkt CDC A03boot changer.
Thanks in anticipation,
Gary:)

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
the factory headunit is fairly restricted in features, so there's definitely 'better' out there. it just depends how much you wish to spend.

part of the installation will include a dashkit fascia piece, that fills the gap around the rectangular '1-DIN' headunit. and if you have steering wheel controls, that should be considered. depending upon the brand/model, you may need an external interface that connects between the alfa control plug and the new headunit; typically another UK$40~60.

features you will find on some headunit compared with the original include:
*iPod connectivity
*BT (bluetooth)
*more complex EQ, time correction, inbuilt crossover filters
*RCA preouts for connection to amplifiers
*more power, lower distortion

some people prefer the cosmetics/integration of the factory models. and an aftermarket model is unlikely to be compatible with the CD changer. also, if your car has a multifunction display that shows track numbers and radio stations, you will lose this function with an aftermarket headunit.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
struggled since 2001 to get an ipod ( Mac formatted ) to play properly through the Blaupunkt 147 high, finally gave up and have fitted an Alpine IDA X 100
Digital Media Receiver - Alpine - Europe - Mobile Media Solutions, mirrors ipod on 2.5" screen, plays flawlessly only drawback so far, 6 weeks in, the unit is not speed sensitive.Works with and charges iPhone 3g. Personally wish this solution existed years ago.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you get a head unit that will play mp3 disks you can get 10 or a dozen albums onto one disk - about the same as the changer in the boot.
Carry a CD case with 10 or 20 disks in it and you've got a lot of music with you. Alternatively invest in an mp3 compatible changer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
have a replacement headunit (Blaupunkt 937 High) that has a darker shade on its fascia being grey instead of silver, my question is can I swap over the silver outer fascia over from my old unit does it just click off....has anyone attempted it before?
thanks

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
should be possible, but i've never tried. if you're adept at pulling things apart, then go for it. i expect the face is either clipped into position, or there are a couple screws holding it in position from inside the unit. best to open it up and see.

:)

·
Registered
184 Posts
try pulling the face off the broken head unit first and see if you can stick it back on okay again - just ito ensure you don't wreck the one that's working!!

:p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts