Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've got a 2004 147 2.0 selespeed. Lovely car, had it since new, done 63,000 miles. Head gasket went recently, it was replaced by my local alfa guy, who charged me £1,350 for the job. He did say that he'd had trouble flushing out the coolant system after he'd done it.

Anyway, 750 miles later (and about 400 miles from home) the car starts overheating. Oil and water leaking onto the road. The RAC guy said it looked like the gasket had gone again. The car was put on a truck and taken back to the guy who'd replaced the gasket first time. He says that either the gasket has failed again (he did skim the engine block), or there's a crack in the block. If the former he'll fix it free of charge. If the latter, he's going to charge me £450 plus VAT, which he says is parts only.

I wonder if this sounds fair?

cheers

DC

·
Registered
134 Posts
For £1350 i would have imagined the block had been properly checked when he did the job. Personally i wouldn't be stumping up a penny as he should have done a thorough job first time around.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
why did he skim the block, its usually the head thats skimmed.

skimming the block will raise the compression & could lead to gasket failure.

maybe the car was air locked, not bled properly & the ca rover heated, therefore damaging the head gasket again.

what torque setting did he use when tightening the head?

did he ask you to call back after a period of time to re-check the bolts?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
sorry, x2 post :(

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
If he charged you £1300 odd pounds the first time for a head gasket job then he's well and truely had your pants down. £500-£600 i would have though including a new cam belt. Skimming the block isn't normal, its usually the head that's skimmed.
First question is why did the gasket go to start with? Did he attempt to find out why and cure it? Overheating is the most common cause and if he's not fixed that problem then sure as eggs are eggs it'll go the same way very soon after ( as has happened in this case!).
What exactly did you ask the garage to do the first time you took it in?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts