Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Before I start I appologise for my naivity, I have been a member of this site for nearly 2 years and love geeking up on GTAs ins and outs however I've not got much practical experience with maintenance work for cars.

I have recently been lucky enough to get my hands on a 2004 Bianca Nuvelo 147 GTA with 47k on the clock.

I am down in Cornwall and am planning to Get Graham Eddy in Penzance to give the car a once over and service etc. I am well aware of the necessity to maintain these cars extensively, and if there is anything that I can do before taking it down (that a non experienced owner can achieve) I would be keen. The work that I know needs doing is:

• Q2 fitting (rough price?)
  • Loose connection in the BOSE system where there is a whining from the speakers that increases in pitch with the engine revs.
  • Air intake with resonator box replacing (as a previous owner removed resonator and siliconed over, which has now come off and a temporary fix is in place)
  • Replace top head mount as it is shot.

The last 2 I believe should be straightforward to get the parts and fit. Is there anything else I should look out for in particular and anything I can do to keep the costs down?

Cheers,
Almo

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
What do you mean what can you do? What needs doing?

The ice section will be able to help with the bose, and unless your handy with a spanner, the Q2 might be a bit tricky.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hi Almo,

Good to have another GTA down in Cornwall - whereabouts are you based? Graham takes care of most of the Cornish alfas so you'll be in good hands. Afraid I'm no mechanic myself either so can't really comment on that part of your query, but from memory fitting a Q2 is in the region of £750 (although I got mine done when I bought the car elsewhere so don't know if prices have changed much). There is quite a bit of info on the forum about what to look out for generally on GTAs so you might be best having a look around.

S

·
0 Posts
On the Bose wiring issue, that whining with engine speed is an interference issue from the alternator. Used to be fixed with something called a choke in the power wiring to the stereo or amp or from the alternator. Probably a cleverer more modern fix nowadays.

·
Registered
397 Posts
As you're asking, I'm guessing that you're not overly confident with mechanical work, so I'd leave the Q2 to someone who knows what they're doing. If you fancy giving it a shot, rough steps can be found here:

Fitting an Alfa Romeo Q2 Differential

As a benchmark, I love doing mechanical things, I'm not afraid of breaking things irreparably (I have several cars so if I can't afford a replacement straight away the car can be standing until I've saved up), I'd like to think I'm pretty good at spanner work (probably exaggerated opinion of own skills:rolleyes:), I have or can borrow pretty much any tool needed for pretty much any work I can think of on the alfa, and I still haven't decided if I'm going to have a shot on fitting the Q2 myself.

Anyone can do the top mount and intake pipe.

The whining stereo can be worse as it can be hard to find where the interference comes into the system (as suggested ICE section may help pointing out typical sources + fixes on Alfas, never had interference problems myself). On the other hand, it's very unlikely that you manage to break anything (especially anything expensive) while trying to fix it, so there's no downside besides spent time in trying.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Well if it helps I can...

Detail clean my GTA, stick fuel / oil / water in and ....er ... that's about it!

If I had the time and mind, I could do more, not quite a Q2, but could do more - I've just become very much - leave it to people who know better than me!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses. As far as the Q2 goes I definitely won't be attempting that myself.

I am just generally keen to do as much to it as I can. I have always been a massive car fan but being relatively young this (after my 2.0 Tspark) has been the first one that has properly got under my skin.

It's great to be able to follow threads like the ones on this site that give a step by step guide with pictures etc.

I am booking it in for a service and Q2 diff but after this i'd like to carry out as much as possible myself (Partly for £££ reasons and partly because I'm really interested).
I guess the places to start are spark plugs, oil change etc?

Paranoid Penguin, I am from Bodmin, where abouts are you? Graham has done the cambelt change on my 2.0 147 and I am definitely going back. He was really good to chat to about the cars and I hope he's keen to get another GTA through the doors.

Thanks for all the advice on the Bose system, i'll have to investigate that some more and try and locate the ICE section.

Apart from maintenance, what improvements/changes do you think I should look into?

Cheers,
Almo

M

·
0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. As far as the Q2 goes I definitely won't be attempting that myself.

I am just generally keen to do as much to it as I can. I have always been a massive car fan but being relatively young this (after my 2.0 Tspark) has been the first one that has properly got under my skin.

It's great to be able to follow threads like the ones on this site that give a step by step guide with pictures etc.

I am booking it in for a service and Q2 diff but after this i'd like to carry out as much as possible myself (Partly for £££ reasons and partly because I'm really interested).
I guess the places to start are spark plugs, oil change etc?

Paranoid Penguin, I am from Bodmin, where abouts are you? Graham has done the cambelt change on my 2.0 147 and I am definitely going back. He was really good to chat to about the cars and I hope he's keen to get another GTA through the doors.

Thanks for all the advice on the Bose system, i'll have to investigate that some more and try and locate the ICE section.

Apart from maintenance, what improvements/changes do you think I should look into?

Cheers,
Almo
You've picked a good starting point with a plug and oil change:lol:. The oil filter is a pain to get to first time around (but is easy the second time) and the rear bank needs a fair bit of stripping to change the plugs...at first you wonder where it'll end. Most jobs I've encountered do involve a fair amount of time the first time around, simply because there is quite a lot to be removed to reach certain areas....but then that's the same with most cars.

I always follow this rule of thumb.....'take how long you think the job will take, then treble it'.......works every time, and on ocassion you may even 'gain' time:thumbs:

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm in the Redruth area. There is another 147 GTA around St Austell and I think one up in Bude. AO SW is a massive area but there are often meets up around Bristol. AROC is pretty active locally - sure Graham can give you more info next time you see him, or you can PM 130 Rosso.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts