Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning All,

I have a couple of isolated areas of rust coming through where the rear glass meets the boot lid. Looks to be a common place for 147's to develop, given water sits in the seal. I did read somewhere that the 147's were galvanised, however unsure if they mean the chassis or body panels? If they are galvanised panels, why would you expect surface rust to come through (im only talking very small areas).

Anyone else have the same issue?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
If they are galvanised panels, why would you expect surface rust to come through ...
Poor quality galvanising.
Poor prep for paint.
Poor QA again... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be the window. I guess it could be as simple as cutting out the old sealant that has caused a break in the galv?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Morning All,

I have a couple of isolated areas of rust coming through where the rear glass meets the boot lid. Looks to be a common place for 147's to develop, given water sits in the seal. I did read somewhere that the 147's were galvanised, however unsure if they mean the chassis or body panels? If they are galvanised panels, why would you expect surface rust to come through (im only talking very small areas).

Anyone else have the same issue?

Thanks,

Dan
My rear window/bootid is exactly as you describe-quite a significant bit of rust about the size of a £2 coin. Car bodywork is in otherwise excellent condition and it is the only blemish on it. Even the undersides and the usual areas are immaculate As David C says, probably poor QA

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Or it could be as a result of a stone chip that's cut through the galv?
Yes I suppose that is possible. The location however would not be a vulnerable place for a stone strike (in fact I would have said it was an unikely place) and it appears that others have had similar. It is in a place where water tends to remain - otherwise the bodywork is excellent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts