Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a complete superflex bush kit on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-Full-Suspension-Bush-KIT-RED-POLYURETHANE-/271103345178?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid=111000&algo=REC.CURRENT&ao=1&asc=14&meid=5448268544375116477&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&sd=271103345178&

As a ball park figure how many hours would it take a good mechanic to fit all of this?

The reason I ask it that its just shy of £300 for all the usual suspension suspects to be bought new and probably wouldn't take too long to fit as a complete unit, however the bush kit is around £200 but may take longer to fit due to labour of actually pressing the bushes as well. Im trying to do a cost comparison as I know the poly bushes would last longer so are better for the long term however I dont have the money to fork out for 10 hours of labour to press the bushes.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The pressing itself is fairly fast+straightforward with access to a hydraulic press. It's when diy'ers (like myself) try to accomplish the same with a sledgehammer and makeshift tools that a lot of time can be wasted on a single bush that just..won't..budge:mad:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It's StrongFlex. :)

Anyway I have those red ones on the rear and like them very much. Red ones are as soft as rubber. Yellow are much harder - they call them Sport.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
As mathias says umit can be a pain if you don't have the right kit

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply chaps! As an alfa newb it really helps having a forum like this especially having a GTA which is, as im figuring out a potential money pit.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Parts bought!

Upper & lower wishbone bushes
ARB bushes
Droplinks

so should be a little less rattly, clunky and squeeky :)

Would love to but I don't have a garage, drive or anything to stand the vehicle up while I removed the parts. It would also be a challenge avoiding boy racers on the race track (I mean housing estate) lol.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The pressing itself is fairly fast+straightforward with access to a hydraulic press. It's when diy'ers (like myself) try to accomplish the same with a sledgehammer and makeshift tools that a lot of time can be wasted on a single bush that just..won't..budge:mad:
For the upper arms, we use big, thick washers, nuts and a length of threaded bar...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
No, not at all, they are pretty much the same as the original rubber bushes.
Exactly. Especially the red ones are soft.

For the upper arms, we use big, thick washers, nuts and a length of threaded bar...
I was using the same method for the rear trailing arm bush. Using a stronger steel threaded bar and nuts is essential though. Damaged two basic ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts