Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Vendor
46,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago Wizard had chance to have a bit of a play around with a 147 GTA standard exhaust, inside there has been a few little modifications done to make it flow better inside the backbox and hopefully sound better too. If it works out well, we'll start offering it as a low cost option to those wanting a bit more sound and performance but without changing the character of the original exhaust. Inside its actually a pretty decent exhaust system especially considering its gone through type approval and all that.

Funnily enough under the horrible aluminised outer skin the backbox inner skin is a decent grade of steel, its welded up great and it'll get a fresh coat of black VHT tomorrow to keep it good for years to come:

No photos of the internals unfortunately, but there are some of the casing going back together. It was just done quickly with the Mig welder, which is why it looks a bit messy. One of our technicians hasn't done any welding before so we used this as a bit of practice for him.

Its going back on in the morning, fingers crossed it sounds good :thumbs;

Attachments

·
Vendor
46,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seen as we had the welder out we also re-skinned and re-packed the mid silencer too, as it was a bit passed it's best:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
So do you need a donor OEM backbox then Dan, or are you remanufacturing from scratch? When I fitted the (straight through) Supersprint, my original one was binned.

I really liked the OEM one, just slightly louder would have been perfect. That set up Lemi in Australia has on his is perfect for me.

I fancy a CF3 decat, but the Supersprint would be too loud I think for setting off at 6:30am every day.

·
Vendor
46,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose you could call it a reconditioned or remanufactured unit now. We wouldn't want to try and build these from scratch, the uniquely shaped rear silencer casing would cost a fortune to tool up to produce.

It has worked really well - its only a little louder than an original exhaust, but has a nice burble on idle and its a little more noticeable through the rev range, and it seems to have released a couple of bhps, the car feels really lively now. No boominess too :thumbs:

You couldn't get the sound that Lemi did on his 156 GTA out of a 147 GTA backbox unfortunately, totally wrong design inside for it which is a shame. The inside of a 147 GTA backbox is similar in design to a Supersprint Powerloop, just not as optimised. The insides of a 156 GTA backbox is more like the Wizard design but with added silencing too.

I'd like to do something similar with a 156 GTA backbox if anyone has an old one they could donate?

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
The trouble is the originals are just so butt ugly to look at from behind with the dangling oversize back box and the undersize tips. Does sound lovely though... No way I'd go back from my Supersprint.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
For a while now I've been considering a different back box as I'm after 'just a little more volume' but without going over the top or changing the character of the original exhaust note too much. My current back box is original and still going strong (the outer layer has come away and the baffles are a tiny bit lose so you hear them rattle slightly when the system is cold). This sounds like the perfect solution for me so I'll be watching this thread with interest :thumbs:

·
Registered
198 Posts
This sounds like something I'd be on board for, I do like the standard sound, especially the little raspy gargle at like 2500 rpm, but it's just too quiet! I wonder how it would sound with the little middle resonator removed?

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm going to disagree with you all. I'm a respectable chap and my wife is not called sharron - I don't wish my friends and neighbors to think I'm a boy racer. I like the fact that my GTA is understated.

My father is in his 60's and has just put a scorpion on his GTA - i think he must be having some sort of crisis!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I'm going to disagree with you all. I'm a respectable chap and my wife is not called sharron - I don't wish my friends and neighbors to think I'm a boy racer. I like the fact that my GTA is understated.

My father is in his 60's and has just put a scorpion on his GTA - i think he must be having some sort of crisis!
They do sound great as standard. My dads 156 GTA is on the standard exhaust and it really does sound gorgeous.

I think the 147 GTA should be shouty though, it looks pretty hardcore so should sound the same :) :thumbs:

·
Registered
951 Posts
They do sound great as standard. My dads 156 GTA is on the standard exhaust and it really does sound gorgeous.

I think the 147 GTA should be shouty though, it looks pretty hardcore so should sound the same :) :thumbs:

yeah. i suppose they appeal to different demographics:thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
314 Posts
The trouble is the originals are just so butt ugly to look at from behind with the dangling oversize back box and the undersize tips. Does sound lovely though... No way I'd go back from my Supersprint.
Exactly my thoughts!

·
Vendor
46,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a cat back system sat here doing nothing pud.. your welcome to it ... slight blow from middle box ..

but not sure on collection lol
Thats very much appreciated - you're a bit far to come and pick it up but if you can get it into a reasonably sized strong box I'll get a courier to pick it up.

I do think we get a bit wasteful about the stuff we throw away too, thats part of my reason for trying to fix stuff. Its all to easy to bin stuff and fit replacements but if you never try and fix anything then you miss out on learning skills that could be useful one day. Its good to know how stuff works too.

·
Vendor
46,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Exactly my thoughts!
The backbox isn't much of a looker, but painted black you won't see it unless you're staring right at it. The standard tips are a bit undersize but I like the OEM look on a car and so do a lot of buyers.

·
Registered
757 Posts
supersprint powerloop on my 147 GTA sele, the downshifts sound amaaaaaaazing, and it is quiet and low burbley on idle, and really only makes it's presence known above 3000 rpm , No drone or bomminess either.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Agree that the std setup is already producing a nice sound. Especially the low grumbling sound when idling.
However I was convinced that it was way too quite and could be further enhanced, hence I replaced it by Supersprint.

supersprint powerloop on my 147 GTA sele, the downshifts sound amaaaaaaazing, and it is quiet and low burbley on idle, and really only makes it's presence known above 3000 rpm , No drone or bomminess either.
Supersprint powerloop will be better indeed that std Supersprint which I have, as the regular Supersprint is way to boomy at low revs.
As we speak, it is being replaced by a backbox from Madeno Racing which has been adapted to include a powerloop-functionality in it as well.

I would not go back to standard though, as the additional music and volume that other exhaust setup will bring you is just too beautiful to resist :D :inlove:
But maybe this experiment will deliver a good alternative as well.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
I get a lot more positive comments on my GT since I fitted the Supersprint :thumbs:

·
Registered
623 Posts
A couple of weeks ago Wizard had chance to have a bit of a play around with a 147 GTA standard exhaust, inside there has been a few little modifications done to make it flow better inside the backbox and hopefully sound better too. If it works out well, we'll start offering it as a low cost option to those wanting a bit more sound and performance but without changing the character of the original exhaust. Inside its actually a pretty decent exhaust system especially considering its gone through type approval and all that.

Funnily enough under the horrible aluminised outer skin the backbox inner skin is a decent grade of steel, its welded up great and it'll get a fresh coat of black VHT tomorrow to keep it good for years to come:

No photos of the internals unfortunately, but there are some of the casing going back together. It was just done quickly with the Mig welder, which is why it looks a bit messy. One of our technicians hasn't done any welding before so we used this as a bit of practice for him.

Its going back on in the morning, fingers crossed it sounds good :thumbs;
Is it too early to ask how much something like this will cost? I am in the process of restoring my 147 GTA back to how it was when it left the factory. I am not interested in modifying it (driving a berlingo van daily is enough to appreciate the GTA) but tweaking like this might be an interesting option

·
Registered
302 Posts
Is it too early to ask how much something like this will cost? I am in the process of restoring my 147 GTA back to how it was when it left the factory. I am not interested in modifying it (driving a berlingo van daily is enough to appreciate the GTA) but tweaking like this might be an interesting option
Yeah, I'd be interested too, but no rush, as my original system seems to be holding up well, for the moment. Just need to find the right black paint for the back box!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts