Alfa Romeo Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
After quite a few days thinking from one end to the other, the dust has settled enough and I have decided to keep the original 17 GTA teledials on. It probably comes across a bit full circle and going back to the beginning or even downgrading, however I feel it is the right choice. The GTA teledials design wise are really pretty and the added benefit is that these ones are clean and had already been refurbished and done well in sparkle silver (one of the only previous jobs that hadn't been made a pigs ear of before my ownership).

One difference though is that the spacers have been fitted as they work with these so they haven't gone to waste, even as they are cosmetically it looks better than without them when they were on before. Also the last time these wheels were on it was before it got the full on cosmetic makeover, so things have changed a lot since. Thanks to Gareth for the pictures that were taken just before storing her away.

Aside from the planned caliper painting when it comes to wheel cosmetics I'm planning to have coilovers fitted when ready, which will improve the whole stance of the car. The front won't be lowered as much, it's the back where it needs to be lowered more noticeably. A set of new Michelins for the 17's don't cost the earth at least either. I can use the 18 Michelins for either my Giulietta or the GT as I'll be sticking with 18's on them which luckily use the same size tyre in general.

Towards the end of the month the exhaust mid section and original middle cat will be coming off so I can send the middle pipe off to have the larger silencer fitted and also get the end piece that was chopped off welded back on. The old bust slightly hacked middle cat is getting thrown and replaced with an intact secondhand one I found.

·
Registered
288 Posts
REALLY pleased you've decided against using the other wheels. Absolutely nothing against aftermarket wheels (I have some on my GT), but the teledials suit your car way more than the angular nature of the 5 spokes. The coilovers will enable you to pitch the stance just right and be a great finishing touch to a really lovely car.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Thanks for the positives guys, at least I have a better idea of what I'll be doing now, always seem to come back round to good old teledials it seems.

It's quite rare for me to like an aftermarket most likely tuning company style wheel, on this occasion this particular one was an exception. Maybe it'll get a use elsewhere in the future, I might end up selling them with enough time passing and nothing as then at least that way cash wise it won't feel so bad. They do at least fit on a non GTA 147 and 156 and likely more models so even if I don't end up with a use for them somebody probably will. Probably won't be the last set of wheels I buy but in the future I'm likely to be sticking to official Alfa ones.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Things still pretty silent at the moment (apart from the exhaust!), still tucked away under cover. I dropped by to drop a few bits off so got some more shots of the spacers close up and underneath some artificial light where the paint shows a bit better.

In just over a week now the centre pipe will be removed to be sent directly to Wizard as Gareth knows him for the large silencer fitting so hopefully once that is done I'll be able to drive the car a bit without fear of frigthening the life out of people in the same vicinity, it is nearly halloween though so maybe I could use that as an excuse!

I also dropped off a set of new front suspension plates purchased from Partsworld last year ready for the underside to be prevented from deteriorating before it is too late. Finally today just purchased some Brembo red brake caliper paint from eBay.

I have thought about creating some form of website or something to chronicle what I am doing alongside this thread. Given I've got this, the GT to get started on, the Giulietta and possibly something else in the future then I'm wondering if it might be an idea to do it while 'in the moment' let's say. Just unsure about platform, not really a massive fan of Facebook despite the coverage now, I have Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 I could get used to again but I fear that might be a bit of an old/outdated platform and just using one of those quite well known sitebuilders/hosters which nowadays seem to have come on leaps and bounds over the years might work. Perhaps it'll just come to me as time goes on in terms of the best idea.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Progress is being made this week and in the last week or so.

The bodged non fully intact and hollowed catalyst as pictured below is now gone.

And the intact working one I purchased a bit ago in anticipation is now in. If this one doesn't last then I'll be buying an Alfaholics one next time to likely prevent the issue ever happening again.

The new Wizard connecting pipe between the bacbox and cat with the larger silencer has also arrived last week in time for the work. Looks the part as usual and at least this time there's no chopping since it is connecting to an intact complete catalyst.

As of today the underside is having the surface rust stripped away and it's all getting a thorough wax oiling and protection it crucially needs. Again I know there's no real cosmetic exterior bits however all this stuff mentioned is important even though it's the stuff you don't usually see, with it done the car is getting to the stage where the important bits are finally out of the way now for the most part.

Tomorrow I'll be buying a set of Michelin tyres for the GTA wheels to replace the near non existent tread on the current Dunlop tyres, with any luck they should be on in time ready for Dec 8th where there is an Alfa meet at The Motorist at Sherburn In Elmet. The tyres are on a good offer now but I want to wait until tomorrow on Black Friday as you never know Black Circles or possibly some other place may have a better offer on for the day.

I also found what looks like an intact original cambelt cover on eBay so went ahead and bought it, hopefully if it's all ok I can get rid of my current original one I've kept for now but is too badly cracked and replace it with this one as a spare.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Budget for some lambda fakers if you do ever get the Alfaholics cat, mine threw up an error code every time with it fitted, all fixed now though.
Should be down at Sherburn on the 8th so hope to see you there, I'll be in the Giulietta though, to much salt around for the GTA to come out to play.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Thanks, I'll factor that in if I end up buying a catalyst from them in the future. All being well I should be going so I'll see you on the 8th. I should probably take my Giulietta given the time of year but I'm itching to give the GTA one last outing, especially since I haven't used it since September. Next years events will be better for the Giulietta anyway as all being well I got lucky on a certain part which will be fitted at the start of next year which will give it a noticeable cosmetics boost.

Front brakes have been painted and looking nice, I'll have the rears done to match early next year, got to buy some more paint first and I'll be buying more than one tin next time. It's not just the GTA but the GT could do with it as well and no doubt there will be other stuff down the line.

The underside is all done and I've been informed it is looking really nice now, haven't seen it yet but I'm sure it is and I'll see it next week. Black Circles did have a better Black Friday offer on the Michelin PS4's so they should be here at the start of the week in which they will be fitted, that will be the last job on the GTA this year.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I now have my GTA back and at home ready for the weekend! Then it goes back in storage early next week until after Christmas as I don't fancy having it left out in the cold over December.

Looks really nice and sorted underneath, to give an idea of how much it needed the stripping, waxing and painting treatment here's a compilation shot of it before.

And a couple of shots now while I was able to look underneath, doesn't really capture it all over but the change is noticeable by quite a bit.

I don't need to worry about previous negligence in that area anymore at least. The exhaust system is now finally complete and intact for the first time in a long time.

It sounds pretty much how I want it now without any worry of having to do a load of work on it anymore. Given that the large centre silencer and manifolds not really having any driving time on them (unless you count moving 20m back and forth to have the work done on) it does sound a bit harsher inside. Time will bed them in and probably smooth things out a bit, might be a bit louder inside anyway given the catless manifolds are at the front near where I am positioned.

It also turns out I was wrong about the calipers, many thanks to Gareth he's done both the front and rears so now that all looks nice. The Michelin PS4's are on (brake pic was taken before they were fitted), even in these moist conditions right now the handling feels far better, those 18 Michelins from earlier should be good when they get fitted on the GT's wheels next year and transform things there too.

I was going to try and get a shot of the car itself but the Sun clouded over while heading home so it would have been a duller not great shot if I had done, I'll wait for now, might get a better one or few at the meet if the weather holds.

Aside from starting a thread on the GT finally near the end of the year when the first work begins, to round things off in other news I got this to be messing about with sometime next year.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #113 (Edited)
That's all for the GTA this year, ended on a high at least at the Motorist meet despite the rain undoing all the cleaning work on the way there. I re-cleaned it today while it was Sunny and dry and it is now stored away until next year.

I've got more stuff lined up next year but hopefully more time can now be spent enjoying it a bit more but still making changes and refining it. After next year however a change might get underway or at least go into a planning phase (it's not getting sold if that's what your thinking!), it's a way off though yet.

I've had ups and downs this year. From the engine painting at the end of 2018 and onwards the car has come on considerably combined with the body respray. Main battle was still ironing out mechanical gremlins and getting on top of preventative maintainance, for the most part it's there now even though there are still some smaller bits left. It really does show the multitude of jobs that needed sorting though considering the timeframe from just before mid 2018 to now.

The part I liked best personally was still seeing the end result of the whole car being painted, although even with that from being at shows the biggest draw still seems to be the engine job. Prime example was yesterday at the meet, with the weather settled once the bonnet came up loads came to look at it.

I did at least get some nice enough photos of the car in it's current form, so I'll end this year with those. The last one has been played about with a bit more when it comes to the sky effect.

Edit - 2 more pictures added.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Come this time last year my GTA would have been going in for painting, things have come on quite a bit since although it doesn't feel like it has been a year. From getting to grips with sorting out the underneath and fixing more mechanical gremlins, adding preventitive maintaince measures and even trying to get on top of accurately portraying the way the paint colour looks when posting online quite a lot has happened upon reflection.

It's been a better start at least, already one meet at The Motorist last Sunday which was another enjoyable one even if the weather started off bad. The GTA is tucked away for a bit now, it has had a good week of driving so it got some nice use which only does good to these cars.

I took some more pictures on the way home, this time though because I now have the latest version of the Lightroom and Photoshop monthly package (I felt it was time to upgrade given I use Photoshop more now and could really do with Lightroom to go with it) along with now shooting in RAW, while I'm not keen on going overboard with editing thanks to Lightroom I feel I have managed to capture how the paint looks when the Sun really shines. RAW is a bit of pain due to the room it takes up so I'll likely buy some bigger memory cards and some dedicated hard drives for storage in the future, however the end results are far better.

A shot of the GTA at The Motorist in good company.

Not a lot a big stuff planned right now given a load of the battle has ended now. It will be getting serviced at the end of the month and there will be the odd cosmetic bit to gradually do. Next main thing is going to be bringing the spare slam panel I now have to be painted in the new colour so it will look right with everything else you mainly see when it is lifted up at shows/meets.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
It is not that colour, similar given it is a pearlescant but not the same, comes out a more orangey red metallic but still can look 8C red at under night light.

Another wheel change is incoming, many thanks to Muskie was nice meeting you today I have a nice refurbished set of 18 Cloverleaf wheels to be fitted. I am having the Michelin tyres transferred from the other 18 wheels from last year that didn't work out going to use now and being put on. It is likely it'll be done on Friday hopefully so it'll be ready for the weekend and the next Club Alfa Sherburn meet at The Motorist.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
No problem thanks again. If they are on tomorrow I may be able to go to a place and get some shots as I'll be going to get the car later on in the day. Providing the weather is still good I might be able to get another set of improved detailed pictures showing the Cloverleaf wheels on. If not then it won't be too long before I'll be able to get some anyway.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
And the Cloverleafs are on! Light was fading quite quickly but I got what I needed picture wise for now, again shot on a proper camera in RAW then edited in Lightroom.

When it was getting serviced Gareth also put the GTA decals on the brake calipers as can be seen close up in the last shot, it is a nice little detail and well worth adding. I found a brand new GTA gearknob on eBay late last year which has also been fitted, old one was in very bad shape and really in need of replacing.

The Cloverleafs were well worth it, I much prefer them and was really pleased when I saw the car with them on upon arrival. The front wheels are right on the edge in terms of being lined up with the arches due to the wheels being half an inch wider than the 17 GTA wheels they replaced with a 10mm spacer on. When the coilover fitting and lowering get's done then a 5mm spacer will be taking it's place. It's worked out well still and once I get my GTV stanced I'll probably go between the GTA teledials and the GTV original 17 ones so pretty much every wheel I have that is being kept has use and also nice value to them.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts