Alfa Romeo Forum banner

281 - 296 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
That is awful. Probably even worse than me putting an ARB on a subframe back to front....at least I worked that out as I started to assemble the suspension....

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Success... It took 3.5 hours to sort it out though.

Dropping the engine off the 2 front mounts on trolley jacks and upper reaction link meant the we could tip the engine forward just enough to get the heat shield out, the manifold clear and the cable in;

IMG_1697 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1694 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1698 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1703 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1700 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1705 by Chris, on Flickr

If anyone is wondering, it may be possible to get the manifold out (for a CF2 swap), but, more clearance is needed. I think this can be achieved either by removing the air con pipes on the bulkhead or by dropping the front of the subframe - tilted forwards the engine results in the driveshafts resting on the subframe.

But with that drama resolved we were able to get the radiators in;

IMG_1707 by Chris, on Flickr

The front suspension rebuilt

IMG_1709 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1711-2 by Chris, on Flickr

The battery, airbox, and intake trunking in and the remainder of the electrical connections sorted out.

It's basically ready to start. But we didn't have enough coolant or P/steering fluid so it's going to have to wait.

IMG_1712-2 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1713-2 by Chris, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Looks really good. The original look is hard to beat. How did you clean the engine bits, plenum etc. didn't see that in the posts?
Obviously, cleaning the cam covers and plenum is a very small part of getting it to look this clean but;

Stripped all the brackets, pipe unions etc off them
Cleaned them in degreaser
Stripped the paint off them
Cleaned them again
Block sanded the ribs and lettering with wet 1000 grit and 2000 grit paper
Masked the ribs and lettering off
Etch primed
Silver base coat x 2
Clear lacquered using a polyurethane laquer
Hand painted the lettering in a clear red

Which, all in, is about 15hrs of work.

There was a vast amount of there work to clean all the other bits as well but the stainless bolts make a big difference. In addition, my Dad spent quite a few hours polishing the bolt heads with Autosol which also adds to the overall appearance.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Obviously, cleaning the cam covers and plenum is a very small part of getting it to look this clean but;

Stripped all the brackets, pipe unions etc off them
Cleaned them in degreaser
Stripped the paint off them
Cleaned them again
Block sanded the ribs and lettering with wet 1000 grit and 2000 grit paper
Masked the ribs and lettering off
Etch primed
Silver base coat x 2
Clear lacquered using a polyurethane laquer
Hand painted the lettering in a clear red

Which, all in, is about 15hrs of work.

There was a vast amount of there work to clean all the other bits as well but the stainless bolts make a big difference. In addition, my Dad spent quite a few hours polishing the bolt heads with Autosol which also adds to the overall appearance.
:smile: Didn't think that finish was from cleaning alone. That's 15 hours well spent. Looks great!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Very nice....very nice indeed and must have been very satisfying

Loving how shiny the rear bumper is and how clearly the park is reflected on it!lolol

Awesome job, very well done
Thanks but it's filthy! It definitely needs a wash and wax!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
As ,you may have gathered from the video in my last post, it starts and runs. The good news is there's no problems; no engine light, no leaks. The tappets were noisy to begin with but that isn't unusal after a rebuild and they soon settled down.

The engine itself is much better, it had a very slight misfire when it was idling that has now gone, the injectors (which were cleaned) are definitely quieter, all the new idlers in the aux belt drive train mean that all that side of things is noticeably quieter too.

I'm really pleased with the way it's turned out.

Of course, My Dad has been busy during the week following our efforts to sort out the starter motor cable. He finished off the brakes which have had new (brembo) pads;

IMG_1726 by Chris, on Flickr

And he cleaned the most important bit;

IMG_1736 by Chris, on Flickr

(Bonnet catch)

In addition to finishing off the chassis stiffening plates which have been cleaned, primed and painted in stone chip. He's also cleaned up the underside of the car by the looks of it. I was only underneath it this evening as it was going dark to pull the axle stands out. It was too dark to get a decent picture of it, so I'll elaborate on this later.

Today started off looking like this

IMG_1731 by Chris, on Flickr

We had the engine running in an hour, all it need was some checks and the usual gallons of longline coolant.

After running it up to temperature, topping up fluids along the way we were at the stage where it was a case of just finishing some minor things off like putting the bumper back on. Before doing so I change the bulb holders in the indicators for new ones (that are very difficult to find) as they corrode, diminishing light output;

IMG_1748 by Chris, on Flickr

After that, we refitted the (new) arch liners;

IMG_1744 by Chris, on Flickr

And dropped it on the floor

IMG_1751-2 by Chris, on Flickr

It sounds simple but all the final details took a number of hours to sort out.

It's not quite finished either. The upper strut brace needs refitting. I'm not going to refit the the lower brace (they're both aftermarket) as it results in the under tray hanging lower and it can catch speed bumps as a result.

The under tray also needs refitting.

And then it's on to phase 2. The interior. Starting with the brand new interior carpet I bought for it.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Ive mention that the driver's seat has been fettled previously but I didn't have any pics of it. All the seats, including the driver's seat need a proper clean but...

IMG_1855 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1854 by Chris, on Flickr

Obviously, we've the seats are out of the car for a reason - replace the interior carpet. But, as ever it's more involved than that.

This is the reason I've elected to replace it with a new carpet;

IMG_1847 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1848 by Chris, on Flickr

It's a small issue that is hidden completely by the floor mat - which is why I didn't spot it when I bought the car... But it has been bugging me ever since.

Another issue is floorpan corrosion. There was some minor rot in the outer sills, that was hidden by the plastic side skirts, which was repaired when it was repainted. The bodyshop guys said they had investigated the floor and inner sills and waxoyled everything they could get at but I was still concerned about this job and what it would uncover...

IMG_1861 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1863 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1868 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1873 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1874 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1875 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1884 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1886 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1889 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1890 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1891 by Chris, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
IMG_1877 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1896 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1897-2 by Chris, on Flickr

Which is a bit of a result. Obviously, I'm going to pull all the rubber lungs out and re-apply waxoyl to everything I can get at through them though.

And, in case anyone is wondering, I added the masking tape around the leading edges of the door shuts to stop them being scratched whilst we were working on it - Yes really, it would be noticeable if they were scratched...

·
Registered
355 Posts
amazing job!
You didn't drive it, in between finishing the technical bits, and starting with the interior? Believe I would not have been able to resist...

good that you take out the inner carpet. The bodies of 156's and 147's get rusty, so proper repair and prevention is necessary. In my 156 there was some minimal rust starting under the bitumen at the outside of the floorpan, but also inside treatment was done. Keep up the good work, must be the most beautiful 147 GTA of the world by now!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Before doing so I change the bulb holders in the indicators for new ones (that are very difficult to find) as they corrode, diminishing light output;

Hi, Great job on the car :thumbup: where did you find these bulb holders in the end.? mine to are corroded :disappointed:

281 - 296 of 296 Posts