Alfa Romeo Forum banner

241 - 260 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Looks absolutely mint. What would you value it at? It must be one of the best 147 GTAs around I would think.
Thanks Dan.

With a fresh cam belt / clutch, I was thinking £14k with some leeway for negotiation.

But I need to do that and put a new interior carpet in it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks Dan.

With a fresh cam belt / clutch, I was thinking £14k with some leeway for negotiation.

But I need to do that and put a new interior carpet in it.

Looks great, worth every penny i’d say. If you can bring yourself to sell it!
No calls on mine, but they can take a while to sell I suppose. Not too bothered, I still like it! Certainly more fun than an ISA and probably better return than 2.5% per year!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Looks great, worth every penny i’d say. If you can bring yourself to sell it!
No calls on mine, but they can take a while to sell I suppose. Not too bothered, I still like it! Certainly more fun than an ISA and probably better return than 2.5% per year!
Thanks. You're safe from competition for now - I need to change the cam belt and clutch before I think about putting it up for sale. :rofl:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
IMG_0724 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8795 by Chris, on Flickr

Got round to fitting the new "Hat Board" and boot seal. Surprising how much of a difference it made to the overall look. Even the seal - the old one was fine, not torn or anything, it just looked old.

IMG_0723 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8791 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8792-3 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8793 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8803 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8805 by Chris, on Flickr

Number plate off and indicators out at the front as well... I have new bulb holders for the indicators to go back in which should improve their brightness.

IMG_0788 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8797 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8798 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8800 by Chris, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
86,167 Posts
Nah, wouldn't be fair on everyone else...
Don't worry about everyone else :EVIL:

Put it to the vote & let the people decide ;)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks. You're safe from competition for now - I need to change the cam belt and clutch before I think about putting it up for sale. :rofl:
I don’t think I’m competing with yours! Mine is in the very nice original condition, with lots of money spent to keep it well maintained, with nice mileage (72k), whereas I think yours is in the band several ‘000’s above, with the concours cars in the mid to high teens. I certainly have dismantled and rebuilt mine several times to make sure it’s perfect! :thumbup:

·
Registered
355 Posts
looks stunning indeed, 100% perfect.
And a low mileage indeed. Just had my GTA value assessed (for insurance) and the appraiser said he's aware of (more than one!) low-mileage mint GTA's that exchanged ownership over 20.000 euro's over the last months. So you may want to reconsider your 14k ;-)

(unfortunately mine is not low-mileage anymore so different price level)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
It’s done 129k miles, so not low mileage exactly, low for its age. But I think they’re at an age now where condition should be more relevant than mileage; low mileage cars are worth more because they’re in good condition rather than as a result of the mileage. Of course it feeds into the value, but it shouldn't dictate it.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Started taking it apart for a cam belt and clutch change.

The cambelt is overdue in terms of age; just over 3 years, but not miles; 4k - Yes, really...

And the clutch is getting heavy again. It's certainly not worn but I was concerned about crankshaft end float last time I looked at it. Despite them being difficult (last time I checked) to get hold of, we have a new thrust washer to put in it.

And then there's the minor oil leaks that I was less than successful in fixing last time.

Given that I am serious about selling it, I'm going to go though all of the engine and box whilst it's out. The heads probably need a rebuild, so they're going to be replaced with a set of (genuine 3.2, not there's a difference) heads that have been rebuilt.

We're going to look at the gearbox and see what that needs, aside from new diff seals.

My Dad dropped off a new master cylinder for the clutch today to sort out the squeaky pedal.

He's also found a gasket kit for the bottom end, so oil seals will be changed. Probably bearings as well.

I've elected to pull the engine out at my house, rather than my parents, which is new. It has benefits in that I have a car port, but it's not exactly roomy;

IMG_8845 by Chris, on Flickr

When we built it though, we designed it so that the side panel we added could be removed;

IMG_8847 by Chris, on Flickr

Cracking on with it, the gearbox is damp because I had to change a could pack on the rear bank a week or so earlier and that mean dumping some coolant to get at it. It is leaking some oil though.

IMG_8848 by Chris, on Flickr

I'm sure the 159 was looking at me and plotting some attention seeking histrionics in a fit of jealousy...

IMG_8857 by Chris, on Flickr

Subframe out...

IMG_8860 by Chris, on Flickr

It was gratifying to see that it's in good shape. Partly because they don't rust like the 159/Brera and partly because I cleaned it up and protected it last time it was out.

One of the things I love about the GTA's is that when you take them apart, bumper off, you are greeted by a plethora of radiators. They really are crammed in everywhere.

Because racecar.... (#palindrome)

IMG_8867 by Chris, on Flickr

I had the engine largely ready to drop out by the weekend just gone, I borrowed the engine crane off my Dadon Sunday and fiddled with the remaining bits and bobs still holding the engine in last night. (Power steering hoses, gearbox linkage and heater matrix connections)

Then, tonight, I finished work earlier and...

IMG_8868 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8870 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8873 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8875 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8879 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8880 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8881 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8883 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8886 by Chris, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Despite being minded to keep things moving, I didn't achieve that much over the weekend;

With the engine out of the car, the next step was to mount it on an engine stand and that means separating the engine from the gearbox.

As the engine is being stripped down, we started by removing the exhaust manifolds, starter motor and alternator;

IMG_1141-2 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1142-2 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1143 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8893 by Chris, on Flickr

We previously decided that whilst I would take the engine out of the car at my home, it needs to be rebuilt at my parents, which, obviously means getting it there. Knowing space would be tight, we also removed;

The air con pump;

Power steering pump;

Oil cooler pipes and radiator;

Intake manifold;

Chrome intake runners etc.

It also didn't help that Captain Doofus here forgot to dump the gearbox oil - the drain plug is in the bottom of the diff housing and with the engine on the floor, is near impossible to drain without getting oil everywhere...

IMG_8896 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8894 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1147 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_1149 by Chris, on Flickr

5.0 V10 Turbo 159...

IMG_8899 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8901 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8909 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8913 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8914 by Chris, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The flywheel needs a cleanup with wirewool or a scotch pad (lack of use) but is otherwise OK;

IMG_8905 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8906 by Chris, on Flickr

And, as expected, the clutch still has some life in it, I'm changing it because it's starting to get heavy;

IMG_8902 by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8903 by Chris, on Flickr

It's not a disappointment exactly, more a Ok so it's not that conundrum. I was expecting the rear main oil seal to be leaking;

IMG_8910 by Chris, on Flickr

I think the cam covers have been leaking but I suspect there is a leak from the gearbox as well if the rear main isn't. More investigation is required.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Love this thread! Congratulations on the work you have done.

I have just bought a 147 GTA in cosmos blue too and your images have been a life saver as I didn't know it was my PAS cooler pipe that was leaking!

·
Registered
615 Posts
That picture of the engine going into the 159 boot is epic :) My little bit of advice would be to change those heater hoses if they're still original ones while the engine is out!! I just did mine with the engine in and it took a whole day, a whole day for two hoses :party:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
That picture of the engine going into the 159 boot is epic :) My little bit of advice would be to change those heater hoses if they're still original ones while the engine is out!! I just did mine with the engine in and it took a whole day, a whole day for two hoses :party:
Yeah, we didn't think it would fit either!!!

Are you George S?

241 - 260 of 296 Posts