Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just had the backbox replaced on the 147 GTA and am convinced the tailpipes are different than original.

I reckon they're slightly oval and possibly smaller.
Can anyone measure the diameter of their tailpipes ?

or if anyone knows the part number for the backbox ?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right here's a few pics.
Measured each tail pipe (outside dimensions) and they're 69mm wide and 64mm high.

If someone can measure the original it would be appreciated or if anyone else has had the original replaced by Alfa and could measure that.

Thanks

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Hi Mark, looking at picture 1 im pretty sure you have the same exhaust pipe as mine which is made by ImaSaf.

When you look under the chrome sleeves can you see two spot welds holding them on?

For your info this backbox retails for £185 and is available from EB Spares; if you have paid more than this or you purchased from a main dealer and they have told you its an OEM part I would go back and have some strong words with them.

Heres a pic of my ImaSaf pattern part.

100_2104.jpg

PS. I painted my backbox prior to fitting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Barry & John

Hopefully it's the OEM one then as it's the same size ?
Any chance you could measure yours Barry as a double check ?
It does have spotwelded tailpipes but I bet the original had as well as the rest of the exhaust is made from cheap unpolished steel so only the tailpipes are polished.

I do have the part number on the invoice but googling the number shows up nothing.

Shame we can't get a spares catalogue for the GTA.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Hi Mark, I will try and check later.

I mentioned the spot welds because im pretty sure the original backbox I removed didn’t have them; also if the part number is 11.53.07 its defiantly made by ImaSaf.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'm not sure if it is purely the light playing tricks but if you look at Barrys Imsaf one, there is a defined lip about 1 inch down inside the tailpipes. The OE Alfa part does reduce down to a similiar size but has a slanted sleeve down into the tailpipes.

If you look at Barrys Imsaf one there is a defined lip an inch or so down the taillpipe. The Alfa one seems to be more of a slanty affair.

Also again not sure if it is the light playing tricks but Barry's tail pipes look perfectly round, the Alfa rearboxes are both more oval shaped.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reckon it's looking more like I do have the oem one fitted.
Certainly the same part number (73503540)

Thanks for all the replies.

Cheers

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts