Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunno how I ended up looking on the Australian AR site, but thought I'd look at the used cars. Quite surprised to see this in the dealer network, although there is a newer 3.2GT for considerably less at Platts in Stoke in the UK.

Used Cars - 2004*ALFA ROMEO*147*GTA - $17,750 - Alfa Romeo Australia

Bloody cheap compare to other prices on there, 'though :eek:

M

·
0 Posts
I hate it when dealers use that shiny spray willy-nilly on the interior - the pics look awful. OTOH, great body colour and would be even better with the grey seat inserts.

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
£12000 is quite a lot for a 9-year old 147.
(I know it says 2004, but it was built in May 2003.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's one of the cheapest GTA's available in Oz!. Just paid considerably more for my '05 Monza (same colour). I believe that the last ones on sale were going for about $65k in 2005 (GBP 43k at todays money).

If you'd really like a laugh at what we pay over here, log on to Used Cars - New Cars - Search New & Used Cars For Sale - carsales.com.au and search your favourite car. M3's, Porsches...infact even mundane stuff are all massively priced compared to the UK (I emmigrated here from London back in 2001 so I was shocked when I arrived!).

XE.com is a good site to have open to convert back into GBP.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So expensive! What are the taxes like to have the cars on the road?
Taxes are slightly better, but...different. They get you in the end. Here's how it works:

Pink slips: Every year, you need to get a pink slip (MOT). That costs about $20 I think (unless you need work) Haven't done it for a while as my last car was fairly new and didn't need one.

Green slips: Greens are basically the same as third party insurance (without the fire and theft). They depend on your record, the car and your area. $400 for the Alfa in Sydney. They are transferable though...so if the last owner renewed in October 2011 (like mine) I don't pay it until October 2012.

Rego: This is similar to road tax and costs about $275 per year. Again, it is transferable.

Fully Comp: This where you claw some back. The Alfa costs me $700 per year.

The killer is that when you buy your car, whatever it is, you pay GST on the sale price ( GST is Aussie VAT). It is only 10%, but still hurts. That GST will be charged again and again each time the car changes owners, so the government win out of that.

All up, and without the GST, I'm looking at $1400 per year, or about GBP 950, for a fully taxed fully insured and roadworthy car. Could be worse.

Here's what all that got me! http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring-images/318578-my-new-147-gta.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
So, the Green Slip ... is it compulsory to have additional insurance, or is fully comp at the owners discretion? I can see pros and cons to that system.
Owners discretion for additional (fully comp), but Greenslips are law. Likewise, if the cops pull you over and you haven't renewed your rego (road tax), then it is deemed that your greenslip is invalid, even if it in date. They bust you hard for that as I found out. Luckily I was still on my British license so they couldn't put points on it....or rather take points off!, You start with 12 and get them deducted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
To confuse matters, each Australian State has their own vehicle registration rules (and until recently their own road rules!).

For example, while in NSW there is the "greenslip" for third party personal injury, in Victoria it is included in the (more expensive) vehicle registration. Victoria also doesn't have the annual vehicle checks, only on ownership transfers.

The blue GTA would have looked a lot more affordable to UK Alfisti when the Pound was worth A0.40c five years ago, rather than A0.67c which it is now!

·
Registered
155 Posts
yeh we have a similar to green slip here, called 3rd party fire and theft which is law too. I'm glad we don't have to pay emissions tax yet, or we'd all be screwed. Imagine how quickly all these v8 commodores will fall off the planet.

·
Registered
155 Posts
So do you have no CO2 related banding for the tax like we have in the UK? The drive is definitely towards smaller engines here :(
nah not yet, but may be a possibility in the future. But aussies are obsessed with huge engines, so it'll take a while i guess.

Smaller more economical cars are being favoured here too, but thats because fuel isn't cheap (anywhere in the world i guess).

We do have some pretty serious other laws though, like the 'hoon law'. Don't want to get caught doing that...ever.

·
Registered
21 Posts
just round the corner

Ha.. What a small old world aye... moved here myself from blight back in 2009. I too shopped around in disgust for a car... initially I felt the same way and kept my wallet firmly aside my thigh!!

Since living here though and beginning to compare fairly I have realised that percentage salary to expenditure is much lower here! This car is approx. a 4th of my salary yet in the UK if I paid 10k pound and considered my employment equivalent id be looking at slightly less than half of my salary. Then there’s the cost of fuel... I think the last time I did the servo run it cost me $1.31 litre :p and as for insurance!!!! Let’s not go there! NO M.O.T IN ACT :D

PS I am taking this for a test drive tomorrow, popped in and had a little goosey over it earlier, fairly priced needs tyres and a good rub down inside but seems ok. Be keen to give it a bit and see how the lump rests up at idle in the forecourt!

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ha.. What a small old world aye... moved here myself from blight back in 2009. I too shopped around in disgust for a car... initially I felt the same way and kept my wallet firmly aside my thigh!!

Since living here though and beginning to compare fairly I have realised that percentage salary to expenditure is much lower here! This car is approx. a 4th of my salary yet in the UK if I paid 10k pound and considered my employment equivalent id be looking at slightly less than half of my salary. Then there’s the cost of fuel... I think the last time I did the servo run it cost me $1.31 litre :p and as for insurance!!!! Let’s not go there! NO M.O.T IN ACT :D

PS I am taking this for a test drive tomorrow, popped in and had a little goosey over it earlier, fairly priced needs tyres and a good rub down inside but seems ok. Be keen to give it a bit and see how the lump rests up at idle in the forecourt!
Aw stoppit - we know Oz is heaven compare to this dump :( Got a sister living in Queensland.

Good luck with the test drive. Let us know how it goes :thumbs:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oggy, where are you in Staffs... can’t be any worse than Wolves my home town!

By the way hoping to complete the purchase this week. Absolutely loved the car... Jumped in, seat hugged beautifully.. steering wheel fell exactly at the ends of my slightly bent arms fired her up and that was it SOLD!!!! managed to get it for 17800 2 new tyres few bits and pieces and 3 yrs. dealership warranty on the road excl stamp duty. Pretty stoked really!

Will give it a very rigorous meeting with a bunch of Meguiars products and then throw up some pics as soon as possible.

Can’t wait to waste the first tank of fuel up in the mountains :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts