Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Earlier this year I decided to replace the F & R gas struts with SGS Engineering items. The fronts have been fine, but the rears have been problematic with them not lifting the boot all the way. They'd get halfway, then you'd have to give them a slight nudge to get them all the way up. The old ones I threw away were like that - that's why I wanted to replace them! On top of this they made a creaking / squeaking noise when lifting the boot.

So, on the 20th October I contacted SGS and told them about these issues. Long story short, they were willing to inspect them so I sent them back on the 25th Oct. After countless emails and telephone calls chasing up where the hell my struts were I finally received the replacement items yesterday. Well, I fitted them and they're no bloody different, just as limp and pathetic as the last ones!! Arrrgghhh...

Fellow 147 GTA owners, which rear gas struts do you use and can you recommend any? I hear good things about Magneti Marelli, are genuine ones any good? I should add that the ones I have from SGS have 370N stamped on them. I'm not sure what genuine ones are rated at. Also I have 50500057 as the PN, is that correct?

·
Premium Member
45,080 Posts
I fitted a set of Marelli ones on a 147 GTA and they seemed fine. No idea how they will hold up long term, they looked a little different to the original Alfa ones so I don't think Marelli were the original manufacturer.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan, the ones you bought, do they lift the boot all the way up without you having to help?

·
Premium Member
45,080 Posts
They don't lift the boot from the almost closed position, you have to lift it up by hand for a good bit, then the struts take over and lift it the rest of the way to the top by itself. You'd need really strong struts to lift the boot open from just the 'popped' position.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. It's the lift at the top that these SGS Engineering struts struggle with so might find some Marellis.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts