Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Everyone,

My names Nick and live in the sunny north west of england!

Currently drive a Leon FR Tdi remapped to 220bhp. But due to financial restraints, looks like i'm going to sell.

So i joined up on here, as i've always been a lover of alfa's and have spotted a couple that fit within my price range (10k max), and just wanted to see what the thoughts and opinions of the experts out there was on them!

So the first is this 147....clicky

and secondly, is this GT clicky

The GT is about 10 mins from where i live, so i'm going to look at it tonight, and it has now close to 60k on the clock, rather than the 58 stated.

So really i'm just after thoughts an opinions on both, which is the better one to go for? what problems (if any) should i be looking out for on both as well?

I'm also a HUGE fan of the 159, but would only settle for a TI model, but i know those are few and far between, especially in my price range.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks, Nick.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi,
on the GT you'll want it have a recent cambelt/tensioner/waterpump for that money and millage I'd say.
And on the 147 you'd be wise to have it done between 50-60K
otherwise listen for squeeky/rattley suspension

I have a Ducati (39k on it)...lovely car but demands TLC... in my case new top wishbones...and probably could do with the bottoms doing soon...and the paints made of sun-dried tomato paste.
Goes like stink and corners like a go-cart tho.
cheers
RIch

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
You may or may not be aware that the GT is a limited edition 'blackline'
...they have a good spec as standard ...if you use the search function on here you probably find out a fair bit about the spec and equipment.

...if its needs cambelt/waterpump changing ...that can be done round here for £400 all in.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi,
I have just bought a GT, 1.9 Jtdm 2005, 60K on the clock, bought it for £5,995. so that one on ebay (i know its finished) looks like it was £4000 just for the blackline spec.

The std GT is lovely in side, with good kit in it.

Edd

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hi,
I have just bought a GT, 1.9 Jtdm 2005, 60K on the clock, bought it for £5,995. so that one on ebay (i know its finished) looks like it was £4000 just for the blackline spec.

The std GT is lovely in side, with good kit in it.

Edd
- it was a 2007, not a 2005 like yours
- looks like it was from a dealer of some sort, so maybe a 12 months warranty
- does yours have a FSH or maybe a hidden past you might of overlooked

comparing apples with oranges?

·
Registered
583 Posts

jeez fella ouch... hang on why not arrange a meet so you can just really kick him in the puds ffs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may or may not be aware that the GT is a limited edition 'blackline'
...they have a good spec as standard ...if you use the search function on here you probably find out a fair bit about the spec and equipment.

...if its needs cambelt/waterpump changing ...that can be done round here for £400 all in.
had a look at the GT Blackline, and have to say if i'm honest i wasn't as impressed as i thought i would be. it's nice don't get me wrong, but i don't think i would be as happy with it, as i am with my Leon now lol.

Going to look at the 147 at the weekend though, see if that makes me feel any different :)

·
Registered
115 Posts

Cheers mate!
1) the picture of the car is 2003 plate? care to explain if you know things about everything?
2) I have a waranty with mine, whats your point?
3) No hidden past, again, whats your point.

Comparing one car to another actually.

I was trying to let Nick know what can be bought for what money.

Nick, hope you find the car you want (But i was looking at a Leon FR, and i do love them!)

Cheers again.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi Nick

I had a GT for 3 years putting about 50K on it. Totally agree with cambelt etc it has to be done straight away if not done already. My car was an ex-Hertz car which meant I had to fix a lot of niggles that had not been originally fixed, once that was done there were not too many issues. I had the EGR valve repalced which is a common fault it stops the turbo from working properly. My suspension was getting a bit crashy at 60K which is fairly normal and easily fixed. They do seem to eat tyres a little bit too.

I had several 147's from the garage whislt mine was in for a service, nice to drive but never really had the same kudos as a GT. The GT is rarer and much better looking. Seats are fantastic. Also worth trying to find a GT Cloverleaf as they had the 170bhp engine, lower tax group and better economy.

Hope you find a good one

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers mate!
1) the picture of the car is 2003 plate? care to explain if you know things about everything?
2) I have a waranty with mine, whats your point?
3) No hidden past, again, whats your point.

Comparing one car to another actually.

I was trying to let Nick know what can be bought for what money.

Nick, hope you find the car you want (But i was looking at a Leon FR, and i do love them!)

Cheers again.
Cars not actually on 03 mate, it's on a private plate lol The GT is a 07/57 plate.

Yeah i love my Leon, and will be distraught to see it go. But needs must at the mintue, and with the warranty running out on it, i fear in the long run it'll be costly to fix should anything go wrong lol

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
apologies! ...didn't mean it to come across quite so blunt/aggressive
didn't transfer well from the thought in my head to the screen in front of me.

was concerned that someone looking for their first(?) alfa and new to the ranges/specs etc would take this comment a bit literal.

looks like it was £4000 just for the blackline spec.
intention was that it may not be a fair comparison against the GT for £6K.
Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Going to look at the 147 at the weekend though, see if that makes me feel any different :)
...I've just driven past it! I live behind the garage where its being sold.

If you plan on doing a test drive, I'd give them a call in advance as it looks like they would need to move a barrier thing in advance to get it out.

good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts