Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a shot of the wife's 147 (she took my Brera), and the gearbox seems a bit difficult at times to engage 3rd on the up, and also difficult to drop to 4th or 3rd frrom 5th - anybody else having this problem? any ideas? - car is just over 3 and a half years old with 29K miles.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Hi Lolly,
had the gearchange on our '02 147 (1.6TS) seize up almost totally! Well it was bad enough to make both of us hate it. It built up slowly over time,as things often do, meaning for ages we put up with it. I only drive it occasionally, so I got in it one day and immediately decided it was time to do something. If my memory serves me, it was the left-right motion that had seized, not the fore/aft.
I disconnected the cables (Ugh - cables!) to see if the problem was at the conductors end or the gearbox. It was clearly the gearbox as the lever flopped around limply. I then took the bracket off the geabox which carries a rocking lever. This it transpires contains a plastic bush, the bracket being aluminium. The rocking lever required a lot of effort to move. Once I'd got the rocking lever and the bushes out, I polished the build-up of aluminium oxide from the bore of the hole where the plastic bushes live. My belief was that the thickness of this oxide layer was squeezing the bush onto the spindle of the rocking lever.
Anyway, putting it back together with gobs of vaseline, it all became magically effortless again. I know it's probably supposed to be dry, the bushes being plastic, but I wanted to keep moisture out. If the bushes expand I'll let you know! They haven't in 18 months or so.
The 147 has an imprecise change when all is good however - just something to live with, but it doesn't need to be stiff as well!

N

·
0 Posts
147 gear change is less precise than the Brera

Maybe it's just a question of familiarity.

Does your wife complain about the 147?

:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Must admit my 147 gear box feels exactly the same as you've described. I've learnt to live with it, but would welcome a cure.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Rowan, how old is yours? If it's 3+ years old I'll bet it's the problem I allude to.
Lolly have you had your spanners out yet?? You really don't have to put up with it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Guys,

Wrenched - I intend to try your fix when the weather gets better!

Nev - yes, the wife complains about it!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts