Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, just bought myself a nice little 2008 147 1.9JTDm.

The gear level won't spring back to its central position when you take it out of gear :-( i did the usual thing and trawled the web, finding some great advice on the 'top hats' and selector plate being rough and need lubricating. I stripped it all down, top hats are in good condition but the rod was rusted and dry. Cleaned it up on a wire wheel until it was lovely and smooth, cleaned the top hats and refitted it all with loads of grease. Unfortunately it still doesn't spring back to the middle :-(

Popped the gaiter off, and the assembly just doesn't look right to me. Cant see any damage, but it looks almost loose? See the video link below. Tried tightening the nut on the right, but i think the whole rod turns and didn't touch it much for fear of breaking something. Help, it feels like im stirring porridge!

https://youtu.be/6tX5v2n9XGY

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Did the rod that turns in the top hat bushes move freely after greasing etc. The important part here is cleaning out any corrosion inside the alloy housing the bushes fit into. This is what causes the mechanism to stick. The corrosion squeezes the bushes too tightly onto the rod for it to move freely, hence it won't center properly.

Not sure about the gear stick end, someone else might know if that's broken or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seemed to turn quite freely, although i guess ill have to strip it down again and try again. I didn't clean the alloy housing so maybe the problem lies there

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK guys now im getting worried. I've thoroughly cleaned and sanded the rod and the hole on the selector plate, liberally greased everything and fitted brand new top hat bushes. It has made no difference. My gear stick is still sloppy. Engages all gears fine, but doesn't centre itself. When in gear, you can easily move the stick left to right. This is in every single gear. I posted a video to show this. Help!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I think your gear stick housing is simply broken. That lower bolt head in your video, that seems to flop up and down when you move the stick side to side, should in fact be rigid in the housing and act as a pivot for the bellcrank. Parts are here:

Alfa Romeo 147 Gear lever

P/N 46411550

Have a feeling it's not easy to change, might require the whole housing to be dropped from the bottom of the car to get access. However, if the bit of broken plastic under the bolt is still there you might be able to bodge it with a jubilee clip.

https://www.tapatalk.com/topic/3973-40736

See also:

http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48734

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, i thought it was the housing too, found a guy selling the top housing with bushes for £19 so will purchase one and try to fit it from the top :) will report back when i can

1 - 7 of 7 Posts