Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
dont know whats gone wrong with my gear shift its lost the spring from moving side to side and putting into gear has got pretty annoying cause sometimes it just refuses to go in. any one got any ideas cheers in advance it feels real slugish and rough like.

·
Registered
123 Posts
theres a million threads about this on here, try a search. i have the same problem but it doesnt bother me enough to fix it yet. i do believe its a simple fix, something to do with replacing some rubber bushes r something. either that or the gear selector plate. good luck with it ;)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had this, by the time I'd looked into it it had gone back to normal. It has happened a couple of times for a short period over 2 years.
What happened is going from 2nd to 3rd, it didnt spring back to neutral or central on the way so the stick just thudded into the non space between 1st and 3rd which was thoroughly annoying if not dangerous.
It seems to be ok now though (touch wood!!!)

Anyway, I was advised it was the gear linkage.

Dealer said it would just need a clean and re grease.

Hope this helps?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have this with my 147. Search the forum for "gear selector plate". There is a pivot under the battery tray that gets stiff - you need to take it apart and clean and grease it so you can find the gears easier. This is not a hard job :)

However, even though I have done this and the gear stick moves around silky smooth it doesn't have any "spring" to return the gearstick into the middle. This is very frustrating! Makes finding 3rd a bit hit and miss. Lots of talk of Alfa issuing a modified gear selector plate on the forum that solves the problem, but whenever I ask for details on the forum.... silence...

Can anyone help? What makes the gearstick "spring to centre", and is there a modified gear selector plate from Alfa that improves the shift on a 147 and makes it easier to find 3rd gear?

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts