Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear alfa friends,
My son has a 147 03 regn. He has just reported that he is having some trouble with gear selection. He states that when changing gear it has lost that spring that naturally moves it to the neutral position. Any ideas? and any Ideas of likely cost?
Desperate Dad.:( :( :(

I have just paid out when he broke his cam belt!!!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
The linkage just needs good old clean. I had mine done the other week while it was in for a service. It's something of nothing. £50 tops? I can verify when I look at the bill at home.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Try a search on this forum. There are loads of threads about it. Judging by the responses, there are 3 or 4 problems and consequently 3 or 4 solutions.

I too have the problem as described and a partial fix is to spray with lithium grease. At least now I can get it in gear. But the gear stick still will not centre on its own. This at the very least requires a new plate?, and quite possibly one of the pivoting mechanisms, and maybe even a new spring?

If you look in the engine bay to the rear of the battery and peer down on to the gearbox, the orange and blue coloured things and associated links are the trouble spots.

It really is not helped by the drain from the leaf guard emptying nearby and splattering these linkages.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
As above but also try taking the gear lever gaitor off and using white grease on the plastic bushing that you'll be able to see. Really work it in by moving the lever around whilst you push in the grease. The plastic bushing may be nylon so do not use WD 40 as this may cause the nylon to swell. I found that out years ago on nylon lined Bowden cables on my motorcycle!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts