Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

My 147 appears to have developed a gear change issue. The car is 4.5 years old now and I've had her since new. She's covered 34K, mostly town driving.

Today I noticed that the gear lever fails to return to centre if you drop out of first or second, and appears to worsen as the car warms up. Dropping out of third or fourth the lever makes an effort to return to the centre, but it's not how it used to be...

Is there a common gear linkage issue with 147s or is this a gear box issue (hope not!).

Cheers, thanks for your advice..

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
A search on the topic should bring up a number of threads, I had the same common problem but it was fixed under warranty.
From what I remember there seem to be gear selector things that could go wrong, and more easily to fix, the ball under the lever ( sorry about the non tech description!)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I posted a boring description of what I did to cure a seized left-right gearshift on our '02 147. Basically a relay lever on the top of the gearbox had begun to seize in its bushes. I put it down to corrosion building up on the bore in the diecast housing which pressed in on the bushes making them tight. It made the car horrible to drive and put load on other parts of the gearchange probably increasing wear. The 147 gearshift is not beautifully precise at the best of times. Anyway I polished out the bore in the casting, it was like heaven afterwards.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have a search for Gear sticking in this forum and theres instructions on what to change. My 147 is doing the exact same. I have ordered the Shifter plate and will attempt to fit this weekend. It sounds pretty simple to diy and part only costs £20 from the stealers.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
There was certainly no need to replace anything in my case, just polished out the bore in the bracket on the gearbox with some fine wet&dry and reassembled with a bit of vaseline in the hope of keeping a bit of moisture out. If I'd been exceptionally fussy I might have changed the plastic bushes but didn't reckon extra clearance would make a jot of difference to the gearshift feel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wrenched,
Tryed you solution and it worked. Shaft and bushes were covered with dirt. Cleaned with some wet and dry and its as good as new. Cheers mate.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
That makes me chuffed! Really pleased it helped, makes driving a misery when controls are compormised. Shame my clutch isn't that easy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts