Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i've developed a fuel gauge problem, ie it's stopped working. It's a 2003 JTD Mjet, depending on it's mood either the gauge rises when the engine is started and drops straight to the six position with the fueld gauge light flashing on and off. After driving for a while the gauge rises to indicate the level of fuel, or doesn't move one bit.

I'm guessing theres a faulty sensor, and will either right it's self or just stop working, or could it be the fuel gauge? Is there any sort of reset function or test I can carry out, changing fuses, thumping some thing?

Any ideas would be welcome before I end up heading to the garage where there'll whistle through their teeth and go, ooh it's an awkward one!

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Maybe a problem with the float in the tank? Seeing as it an intermittent problem probally not but got to start somewhere! Good luck

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
mine does the same, i don't think of it as a fault but as a quirk of the car lol its like a game it plays to keep me on my toes, do i or don't i have petrol:lol:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys guys. Providing I don't get washed away today I'll have a gander tomorrow. For ease, I'll begin with cable proding!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I delved under the rear seat, removed the black plastic cover and unplugged the cables, looked at them, thought they looked nice and clean, plugged them back in.

Fuel gauge went up to 3/4, went for a 45 min drive (A fine excuse I thought!) and the gauge kept falling until it hit 1/4 which is about what I expected. All still seems fine, thanks for the help guys.:thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
:thumbs: excellent, glad it's sorted :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts