Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, the engine is 147 1.9 JTD 16V - 140 BHP variant, pre-facelift, remapped to 180 BHP, EGR delete.

Fuel consumption has always been a bit off than advertised by Alfa.

Car is driven solely in the city, around 8-9AM and 5-6PM, therefore rush hour on both occassions. My commute is 2.5-3 miles long and I spend about half of it in start/stop traffic.

After filling up with 30 liters, I was able to drive ~190 miles before the fuel gauge reached the same spot as before refueling. This gives an average of about 29MPG. I have the AC on most of the time and my driving style is semi-spirited - I give it some beans whenever there is some space. This mileage includes a lot of potting around in 1st, trying to find a parking spot around work or home.

Did a diagnostics check - no fault codes, all rims seems to heat up in pairs to same degree (no sticking brakes), no leaks at all in the engine or the fuel lines - car is dry everywhere you look at it. No soot from the back, even when booting it. No signs of bad health at all.

In reality, is this what I can expect for the type of driving I do and if not - what can I check that I haven't already? What type of mileage do you get?

P.S. I've had the car on a motorway a few months ago and I got about 800 miles of a tank!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I'm surprised you are getting as much. 2.5-3 miles (engine quite cold for a while), urban stop/start, using A/C so increasing loading on engine are all factors which mean you should get worse than EU consumption for urban conditions.

Given the conditions, you are doing surprisingly well.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm surprised you are getting as much. 2.5-3 miles (engine quite cold for a while), urban stop/start, using A/C so increasing loading on engine are all factors which mean you should get worse than EU consumption for urban conditions.

Given the conditions, you are doing surprisingly well.
What I needed to hear. Thanks Fruity!

Reactions: Mufasa

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I'm getting 43 mpg from my 16v 150bhp, that's a mix of mostly short journeys and some longer ones, a bit disappointing compared to my remapped mk4 golf PDI , don't know why it should be less efficient than an engine design that's as old as the hills but it is much smoother...

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Same car/engine, I live in London. Full-to-full fuel consumption averages 36.8mpg, mixed driving. Which is disappointing but entirely due to miles of traffic in all directions. I get 48mpg once I escape, probably >50mpg at times. Worst I've had is 28mpg, due to lots of 7ml journeys in town traffic, when I had to do a month of back-and-forth with boxes of books.

I avoid using the car for short journeys as much as possible, walking, bus, motorcycle (before the knife-wielding thugs kept trying to steal it), or (before it was stolen) bicycle made more sense. A 3 ml commute and diesel are about the worst possible combination, as it will barely get up to temp. If you must use a car, try a Peugeot 107 (aka Citroen C1/Toyota Aygo). My wife has one, a brilliant city car that warms up quickly and never drops much below 50mpg.

·
Registered
291 Posts
short trips and start/stop are hell mileage wise.

Honestly, for <3 miles, why not get a decent bicycle instead? especially if it saves you hunting around for a parking spot and lots of traffic lights, the bike wont be much slower then the car.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Normal economy for that journey. Have you considered a bicycle?

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
Then you could become a MAMIL and hog the road with loads of your mates.... I'm joking , I'm joking....

Reactions: Mufasa

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
2.5-3 miles .. that's a short walk!! Stay fitter too ..

·
Registered
22 Posts
TBH I'd say you've bought the wrong engined car, it'll get killed with that type of driving, petrol would be better, nicer, more reliable and in the long run most likely work out cheaper, MPG for what you state seems about right to me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts