Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I realise there are many threads on what the creaking etc is from front suspension (i.e. Top Wishbone Bushes) and my 147 suspension is getting very bad first thing on a cool morning - local mechanic confirmed it was the top wishbone bushes.

Obviously, the two options are replace the whole wishbone with alfa spec / near standard wishbone bushes in there or secondly replace the old bushes with powerflex bushes from EBay / EBSpares. As far as I can tell there is a small saving for just bushes but this will be lost as the labour work will be more to get the old bushes out of the existing wishbone.

So, my question really is - definitively - which gives the better, long lasting result - new bushes or the new whole wishbone?

Many thanks in advance,

Cluffstarr

·
0 Posts
Fitting new bushes to old wishbones may achieve something short-term, but evetually the ball joint will wear - back to square one
You may be better fitting powerflex etc to new wishbones
Squeaky bushes can be quitened with silicone spray BTW ;)

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Probably both ... a new wishbone with Powerflex bushes.

Problem is once the bushes start to squeak, the balljoint has probably also started to wear. Given to replace the bushes properly, the wishbone has to come out, there is also a chance of damaging the ball-joint cover or the thread to the balljoint .. meaning a new arm anyway.

Funnily enough, it's not so much the bushes that have caused me grief in the past 4-5 years, but the ball-joint rubbers which seem to split or perish very, very quickly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am soon to renew bushes on my 147 - the lower swingarm outer bush on the right hand side is disintegrating after only 5 years. From the looks of it, the bush barrel was fitted with only half a bush (the front halve, with an empty rear halve staring at you). This bush is also the hardest working on the front suspension, taking all the forces between the road and the coil spring and shock absorber.

I will be going for polyurethane bushes, and intend fitting it myself, thus saving on the labour cost (provided that all ball joints are still in a perfect condition, they seem to be at the moment). These bushes should outlast the car. I do not want to do it all over again in 5 years time.

The only drawback that I know of is the transmission of road noises back to the chassis - rubber is supposed to be a better isolator of vibrations and road noises.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
The big horizontal one where the strut fork connects? That is meant to be half a bush ... at least all the arms I've had are. I'm on my third set of lowers (134500 miles!) ... or is that the fourth? Pinched and perished balljoint rubbers and cross-threaded mounting bolts!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wonder what the reasoning behind that would be. The one I saw in a replacement catalogue the other day was the full length. I can imagine that it could be extremely difficult pressing it in. However I would prefer fitting 2 split halves (with collars) and washers to make up the full width of the fork legs. That way there can be no lateral movement on the bush.

It is disappointing that the rubber quality is not as good as it used to be. I also have another car still in daily use. It is 22 years old with 380 000 km on the clock. All suspension bushes are still original. The bushes are all showing hairline cracks due to age, but no significant wear. The suspension is still solid. The only maintenance required so far was new shocks a few years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts