Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine have vanished, and the pads are rattling. When I changed the pads the new springs didn't seem to fit well, and clearly they didn't. I spent an hour today trying to fit new ones, the same Ferodo FBA526 as the pair that have gone missing. I've checked and they are listed as correct, but ain't. There is no way they will stay in place more than momentarily - the loops that sit on the carrier projections are round, not squared off like others seem to be, also the dimensions don't seem quite right. So the question is: has there been more than one type of OE ATE caliper used on the 2008 Sport Q2 1.9 16v JTDM 284mm brakes?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I have found only a single spring listed and that includes continental option on 156 and early 156 solid discs. I know you car is 147 but I had a thorough trawl.

See;
https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Alfa Romeo/147/01-09/147 1.9 Turbo Diesel/Front - Brake Pads and Shoes/BPF1180

I'm taking a guess that the springs are made by a spring producer (not by pad manufacturers) and put in whichever branded bag. My rear pad anti rattle shims are Apec branded but don't fit as well originals. They are exactly same ones as fitted to Vauxhall Corsa.

You may get lucky with another brand but it seems like a lottery. It would be good if anyone has changed these and knows a brand that works.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have found only a single spring listed and that includes continental option on 156 and early 156 solid discs. I know you car is 147 but I had a thorough trawl.

See;
https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Alfa Romeo/147/01-09/147 1.9 Turbo Diesel/Front - Brake Pads and Shoes/BPF1180

I'm taking a guess that the springs are made by a spring producer (not by pad manufacturers) and put in whichever branded bag. My rear pad anti rattle shims are Apec branded but don't fit as well originals. They are exactly same ones as fitted to Vauxhall Corsa.

You may get lucky with another brand but it seems like a lottery. It would be good if anyone has changed these and knows a brand that works.
Thanks for looking :) Yes, you're hopefully right that other makes may fit better. Funnily enough I ordered the brakeparts.co.uk set, made by Bremtech, through eBay, yesterday, because the design looked different to the pingf%ckit Ferodo ones. The Mintex ones looked more like Ferodo. As you say, a lottery.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I lost an anti rattle spring on my TS 147 (assume it broke and fell off). A local wrecking yard matched it with a spring from a Holden Astra (Opel, Vauxhall elsewhere).

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
147 ones are the same as the ones fitted to Astra F models so a breaker will be a good place to try as there must be loads of Vauxhall’s scrapped.

Don’t mean to offend or anything but are you sure you fitted them back properly after pad change? Reason I ask is when the ends are in holes,loop end resting on carrier and the centre part sitting behind caliper I can’t see how they could come off?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Try again. Photo didn't work from my phone. Ferodo, on the left, are about 1cm shorter and the loops are the wrong shape. They only fit precariously, and the first set disappeared. I spent an hour trying to get the replacement spare set to fit, wondering if it was me, before concluding it wasn't. The Bremtech replacements that just arrived look like they should fit properly.

NB: Bremtech were £5.65 for the pair, incl P&P, from https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Alfa Romeo/147/01-09/147 1.9 Turbo Diesel/Front - Brake Pads and Shoes/BPF1180

The Ferodo were ~£9 pr from Mister Auto for 147 (I bought 2 pairs), but here's a 147 listing from another seller https://www.carsparesltd.com/fiat-punto-1.2-petrol-2004/product/brake-friction-br-accessories-fit-kits-kits-br/brake-fitting-kit/LLKFBA526

Moral of this story: don't buy Ferodo FBA526 clips. They don't bloody fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The good news is the Bremtech springs went on very easy, and fit perfectly.

The bad news is that in the 3 days since I ordered them some f***ing s***head thieving toerag has jacked my car on the return of the front wing, just behind the wheel. A right mess, pushed in 2", paint knocked off. It had been perfect. I can only assume this was a particularly thick DPF theft attempt. There have been loads of them locally, but generally from cars that have them. The tilt alarm will have gone off, I wish I hadn't missed it. So sick of these a***holes who are running riot now the police ignore theft .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts