Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all. I have just MOT'd my 147 1.6 Lusso and they commented on the poor condition of the discs. Now since i have owned it they have been particularly noisy. Doesnt bother me as i can hear them over the stereo. Its a grinding noise on application. A couple of months ago i had some judder so stripped the front to find the brake lining had deposited itself on the disc. So i cleaned it off and its been ok. So i though nows the time to change them.

What do you guys go for. I quite fancy some drilled or grooved for asthetics, but performance too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well you will probably recieve 12 answers to this question.
Brakepads separate from the steel back only if : overheated or trapped at the rusty outer perimeter of the disk during disassembly
Start cleaning the brake caliper properly,inspect for function of brake cylinder,inspect for dust under the rubber-sealant be carful not to ruin the rubber clean the Brake Bracket paint it!!!!.Then anything goes!!! I think the original disc´s are ok ,however at the same price ( in Denmark) you can get the Brembo max slottet from Alfistinet soooo buy them instead :
Brembo max series + EBC green stuff
look at this lovely site : https://sites.google.com/site/alfaromeo156brakesfront/
My vifes car has the drilled brembo + EBC green stuff if I remember correctly they are the same as the AR 146
William Lütken

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
1.6 will probably have solid discs .. so you won't have a big choice on "perfromance" or "sport" looking.

buypartsby.co.uk is my choice for brakes if you want good quality at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
OK, you're lucky then. Maybe the older ones were solid (a few 1.8 156's were too). Makes sense business wise for Alfa to standardise across range.

Well at least you have more choice. Standard discs with Ferodo DS Performance pads seem to be the favourite on here ... have a search, but expect a lot of results! I am considering drilled myself, but not grooved. Maybe just the "dimpled" ones to retain the disc strength.

Looking around at other cars, I just think drilled look a bit more "classy" .. and besides, if drilled only are ok for the likes of Porsche, Merc, etc .. why not us! ;)

(I've also heard grooved discs can be noisy!)

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
DavidC comes up with the explanantion as usual! :) Just as I was replying!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
sharpshooter: how did you clean the build up off. I had this on my wife's 159 (perfect outline of the pad left on the disc) and won't tell you how I did it. What is the proper way to clean off this build up.

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
No idea.
But they are only a std pad, so don't expect anything more.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts