Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I've read that a flashing odometer means there is some kind of electrical or computer problem with the car. Can anyone give me any more information about this problem? Strangely, it doesn't happen every time I start the car. :confused:

·
Registered
84 Posts
had same problem a few times- as with most things 147 electric it was a mystery, if it does not stop flashing for a day or so then you may have a problem but not sure what that would be.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi guys,
I've read that a flashing odometer means there is some kind of electrical or computer problem with the car. Can anyone give me any more information about this problem? Strangely, it doesn't happen every time I start the car. :confused:
In my 2003 147 a flashing odo display means I've driven off before the status check was completed. There's an explanation in the manual somewhere......

Steven

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think Splashalot is correct. My 147 does it occasionaly - due to not being able to complete the start up checks. A restart solves the problem.

Dai.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'd go along with the last two explanations. I've had it happen twice now, and both times I'd gone to start the car but allowed the key to slip out of my sticky fingers just as the starter ....errr started :eek: but before the engine fired. Immediately turning the key again brought up the flashing odometer. Stopping the engine, taking a deep breath and starting again - properly this time cured the flashing.:)

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Guys, there are already some fairly extensive discussions on this subject. Try a search of the forums and all will be revealed. :)

Sometimes it's just the start-up routine that's been interupted. On other occasions it can indicate something more serious.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Doesn't it actually explain the reason in the 147 Owners Manual as well as on numerous threads here? I don't have the manual with me right now to quote the page no. But, to ease your concern Allex I don't think there's a solution because there isn't really a problem to solve. All it's telling you is that it hasn't completed it's start up tests for some reason, maybe too quick on the start up with the ignition key. What I do now is I just wait a few seconds for all pumps (Selespeed) stop whirring ( a few secs at the most) after turning the ignition on, then start the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this problem too. At the time the door controls refused to work so I had no mirror adjustment or windows!
Rather than go to the stealer I did a bit of DIY fixing and reset the ECU and all was fine and has been for the last 3 months after doing it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
you need to have a proxi alignment carried out with examiner. this re-aligns all the nodes on the can-bus. The flashing odometer is an indication that one or more nodes are missing from the bus.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got the same problem. Mine is flashing all the time, I've taken it to Alfa garage three times and they can't sort it. I've tried waiting a few seconds before starting it but it even starts flashing before I start it. Did any one find out what it was and how to sort it? thanks

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
On CAN Bus cars the system speaks to all major electrical components when doing start up checks. If it doesnt get the right response then the odo will flash. It might be a sign that the speedo has been replaced-I only found this out when I replaced my speedo and it started flashing!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yea the garage changed the speedo hoping that would sort it, still kept flashing.
So looks like were stuck with it then?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts