Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since buying the 147 2.0 TS, I've been getting around 450 miles per litre of oil. With the advice of our friends at Opie, I've been using the best makes (Millers, Fuchs, Motul, Gulf) and changing viscosity as I'd thought the problem stemmed from the thickness of oil used. Having changed at the weekend to Gulf Competition 10w60 (which we all know is a good oil and the thickest grade that can be used in a TS) with no impact on consumption, I've concluded that the problem lies elsewhere.

Now, I'm wondering how to find the reason asap. My feeling is it is either pistons or the lambda. I'd like to get a diagnostics analysis which includes a compression test.

Can anyone think of a better way of finding the cause? If not, where would be a good place to go with right diagnostics equipment?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
On the TS - if it does not smoke excessively but consume as much as you say it does - then usually it is valve stem seals. Have someone drive behind you - speed up, coast for a good while (gentle downhill) and give it some gas - if it puffs a bit of smoke then is is valve stem seals.

Compression test will tell the most yes. Then remove spark plugs and compare - if one cylinder is MUCH more fouled than the others - that might be where oil is seeping in

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
typically used at weekends: 50 miles of city driving (30-40 mph maxchanging at relatively low revs) + 400 miles motorway driving, probably averaging at 85mph; rarely take it over 95mph.

fyi: car has only done 33k, last 10k by me in the last year. Guy I bought it off was an elderly gent - certainly wouldn't have hammered it

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
typically used at weekends: 50 miles of city driving (30-40 mph maxchanging at relatively low revs) + 400 miles motorway driving, probably averaging at 85mph; rarely take it over 95mph.

fyi: car has only done 33k, last 10k by me in the last year. Guy I bought it off was an elderly gent - certainly wouldn't have hammered it
I would start giving it a good hammering ...Italian tune up

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
temp is constant at 90c.
engine is quiet. performance is as you'd expect.
would low temp have led you to conclude on the cause?

·
Registered
434 Posts
if it was mine i wouldnt want 10w60 in there, id get that out straight away, put in the correct 5w40 and i would run forte engine flush in it for a while to give it a good clean out, and then put some fresh 5w40 in there (any should be fine)

at 33,000 miles i would be thinking its a stuck/sludged up piston ring, hence my suggestion of the forte engine flush, id put that in it and thrash it for a while.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
TS runs on 10-40. Not 10-60 and not 5-40. Also you don't thrash engines with engine flush in. Changing to either of these oils is not the correct sollution. Your oil consumption is high but not unmanagable. Valve stems and rings are a good starting point. Good luck :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I thought it was documented that the piston rings are to blaim. Twin spark engines have 2 different sets of rings used, one of them has issues.

·
Registered
434 Posts
TS runs on 10-40. Not 10-60 and not 5-40. Also you don't thrash engines with engine flush in
5w40 is better than 10w40, why use 10w40 when 5w40 is very little more money but much better?

and if its got issues such as stuck piston rings, then thats the only way its going to really force it out, i had forte engine flush in my punto for a week as suggested on a forum, and it fixed my issue.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
5w40 is better than 10w40, why use 10w40 when 5w40 is very little more money but much better?

and if its got issues such as stuck piston rings, then thats the only way its going to really force it out, i had forte engine flush in my punto for a week as suggested on a forum, and it fixed my issue.
10w40 is correct oil 5w40 is too thin for our climate

YOU NEVER THRASH AN ENGINE WITH BASICALLY PARAFFIN IN YOUR OIL engine flush is for NO LOAD:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I thought engine flushing oil went out of use years ago. Last time I used some was on a P reg mini 850 (with the P at the end of the number rather than the beginning), there were dire warnings on the can about not letting the engine rev higher than tickover.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
It's ok if it's done regular from new I think. I wouldn't do one on an engine with plenty of miles which hasn't had it done regular.
Agreed its not recommended by forte either...

I remember doing the courses with Forte when working at Volkswagen

Either from new or it can loosen stuff you don't want floating round in your engine..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts