Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gearbox dipstick location on a 2007 car - they say a picture is worth . . . . . :confused:

You need skinny arms to reach it from the top though.

Click on image to enlarge

Attachments

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
yep, just take your watch off :p

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Anyone any tips on reading this dipstick. It's difficult to see the oil level given that the oil is very clear. Did it when hot, maybe it would be more obvious when everything is cold and the oil is thicker. Or maybe I'm really a bit low on oil :eek:. Not the easiest thing to reach either but doable with only minor discomfort !

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone any tips on reading this dipstick. It's difficult to see the oil level given that the oil is very clear. Did it when hot, maybe it would be more obvious when everything is cold and the oil is thicker. Or maybe I'm really a bit low on oil :eek:. Not the easiest thing to reach either but doable with only minor discomfort !
If there's no colour in the oil you have to look at up to where the oil is wetting the dipstick

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
If there's no colour in the oil you have to look at up to where the oil is wetting the dipstick
Yeah tried that but pretty well impossible to see where the oil ends, everything is too clean and shiny. In the end I just cleaned the oil off the dipstick so it was completely dry, dipped it in and removed it, then gradually touched down towards the bottom in increments until I could see oil on my finger. Seems to be full. Would be better if the dipstick was a dull colour that would become shiny when wet with oil. Still, nice touch compared to the normal way of checking oil level, i.e. remove the fill plug and see if oil dribbles out.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
another quick tip to see ,use a black felt tip pen not pernament type and clean dip stick then paint one side of stick then dip it in and you will see where oil has disolved marker

1 - 6 of 6 Posts