Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive got this idea! How hard do you reckon swapping a v6 engine onto a 147JTD i know issue may come into action with the cambus and mounting points but if i can get some fabrication in place can it be done?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hiya

anything ca be done but it wont be easy . You will need to replace the whole wiring loom plus more bits and bobs.
So really you would need a donor car, But it can be done you just need patients and time.

Another fella is doing the same but from a Ts to v6 156 and has used a CF2 loom/harness and he is willing to help anyone who is doing simular the thread is on here , so if you get stuck he could help out or say how much of the loom you need . but at a guess it will be everything from the dash forward

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info ive done many engine swaps but have mo experience with canbus system so that would be my nemesis

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Probably be easier to swap the engines and parts then go stand alone management.

Still it can be done. But yikes it would be hard going just doing the mechanicals let alone the loom.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When it comes to a v6 swap in 156 then yes price are super low and not sure why anyone would do it in a 156 but have you seen the prices of 147 gta a good one 6k up a engine swap would less then then half of that just more man hours plus i love a challenge built not bought.. But could be greedy and keep mine as jtdm and carry on with jtd performance mods and buy a gta as weekend fun car just for the noise

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Its been done a couple of times. 156 v6 into a 147.
You do need quite a few parts from the v6 147 to do it to a certain degree. Or least all of the 156 donor car.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
When it comes to a v6 swap in 156 then yes price are super low and not sure why anyone would do it in a 156 but have you seen the prices of 147 GTA a good one £6k up a engine swap would less then then half of that just more man hours plus I love a challenge built not bought..
You'd need a lot from a 147GTA donor car. To the extent that you are essentially reshelling the 147GTA into your 147JTD shell.
If you could find a 147GTA with a wrecked shell for low money, then your project could be on. But to attempt it without the donor car is unlikely to go well, there are A LOT of different parts between the two cars (i.e. most of them!).

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
For one thing the JTD rev counter only go to 6000 RPM, the V6 rev past 7000RPM.

At least they use (in principle) the same gearbox (other bell housing and WAY different ratios) so side shafts can be reused... I think that is about it... For the rest you'll need as David said - everything off a 147 GTA

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Think it would wise just to buy a gta as a investment and have it as weekend car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts