Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all Alfistis out there.

The thing is this- I bought a bargain 147 1.6l about 5 months from now and I bought it needing some major body work.

Now when I have come around doing it I found this beautiful 147 2l (will probably buy it), with lower milage and exceptionally good paint and body but the engine is blown.

So I'm thinking- the engine works great in my 1.6l, runs very smooth, it's not better than the 2l but the car was cheap and it would be a shame not using the engine.

Also in mind finding a good engine for a good price in Sweden is a bit of a hassle.

So- if I would buy the 2l 147, take out it's engine and put in my 1.6l what would I have to do with:

1: The keys- one of my keys got lost when I moved (I bet I can find it but if I wouldn't) could I then use the 2l ones codes with its immobilzer on my 1.6L engine?

2: Remapping the ECU from 2l to 1.6l is it necessary?

3: The gearbox- I'm thinking it would be nice having lower revs on the high gears, so is it possible keep the 2l's gearbox?

4: I know it's idiotic to put a 1.6l (downgrade) but this was basically given to me and I have started up my own business so I'm living on a really tight budget. So this is how I would prefer it and then later if I found a very cheap 2l one I can swap it out again.

I could have gotten some parts completely wrong, how to work the ecu and the immobilizer and so on if that's the case please explain how it would work.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I'd just do the engine swap and keep the 2.0L ecu running the 1.6 engine.
Should work ok. If you want it to run better you could map it. But generally it'll run fine and be a straight swap bar a couple of the engine mounts from what I read.

The 2.0L will have the variable intake manifold. But you could swap that over while both engines are out. Sop effectively it will still work with the 1.6.

You can keep the 2.0L gearbox with the 1.6 engine. It will be slower to acclerate but you should get slightly better mpg becasue of it being that little bit taller. The gear ratio's are not that far off each other in reality.

Enough to change 0-60 times and might even lower your top speed as the overal gearing is slightly taller but should be a better cruiser.

Glad you are under taking the work to make one good car out of two and potentially saving another alfa from the dreaded scrap heap.
When i did my engine swap it took me around 40 hours to do so. Including all belts / oil / Clutch.

But its good to do it all while the engines out.
May even be worth doing the bushes on the front ARB while you have the engine out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the very good reply!

Yes there (were) probably not anymore around a 1'000 147's in Sweden. So it's a rare thing to see around here, a shame that it cost a fortune to get a 2L engine here, otherwise I could have fixed them both and sold my 1.6L instead. The tax is exactly the same for the both here in Sweden- so it's a bit of a shame. But hey, it's my first car and my first Alfa and definitely not the last one, me and my girlfriend just loves the damn thing.

The Immobilizer in Alfa terms "should" work after the engine swap?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
If you use the 2.0L one on the 1.6 engine then yes.

If you decide to use the 1.6 ECU to run the 1.6 engine then you'll need to swap out the keys and body computer etc as well.

For the hassle I'd leave the 2.0L ECU running the 1.6 engine. It'll over fuel it for the first few hours. But it will then learn the rich / lean mixtures with the new engine and adjust accordingly. may even get a slight bit more power out of the 1.6 engine.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If you use the 2.0L one on the 1.6 engine then yes.

If you decide to use the 1.6 ECU to run the 1.6 engine then you'll need to swap out the keys and body computer etc as well.

For the hassle I'd leave the 2.0L ECU running the 1.6 engine. It'll over fuel it for the first few hours. But it will then learn the rich / lean mixtures with the new engine and adjust accordingly. may even get a slight bit more power out of the 1.6 engine.
You wouldn't need to swap keys and body computer if the ecu used was virginised

The 2ltr ecu running the 1.6 engine will run with fault light on.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Sorry I thought they could be swapped. IE the 1.6 ECU can run the 2.0 engine but not the oither way around?
What error does it give and why?

Could always move the locks and computers aswell though... just a little bit of extra work. But if you have it all there no reason why it couldnt be done.

G

·
0 Posts
As Scott's said do as much as you can while the engine is out.
How are you doing it do you have a lift or are you using jack and stands ?
Did my engine swap with jack and stands not easy but it is possible.
What's wrong with the engine that is broken?

G

·
0 Posts
Just an after thought do any of you know if there are any exhaust differences between the 2.0 and 1.6 ie the cats or the lambda readings to the ecu?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know yet how I'll take them out, I might lend a friends garage :)

So yes, the belts will be changed.

The broken engine has a blown cambelt.

Is it "hard" replacing the cambelt your self? I have some basic knowlage of other cars.

G

·
0 Posts
No but you must use proper tools to lock the cams and to refit the belt and tensioner.
Much easier when the engine is out .
If you are changing the belt you may want to consider changing the water pump and the camshaft variator as the belt needs to be removed to change both of these.
There are loads of threads on here about changing the cambelt . Might be worth a look be fore you start just to give yourself an idea of what to do :thumbs:
Just search twinspark cambelt change .

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Sorry I thought they could be swapped. IE the 1.6 ECU can run the 2.0 engine but not the oither way around?
What error does it give and why?

Could always move the locks and computers aswell though... just a little bit of extra work. But if you have it all there no reason why it couldnt be done.
Neither ecu/engine swap combination will run without errors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts