Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently had my first problem with my 51 plate 147, its done amazingly well gettin to 100,000 ion the clock with no faults, until the other day.

My grandad reckons the "main or big end" bearing has gone on the engine, and as the car isn't worth the cost of a brand new one + fitting, we are wondering whether it is worth fitting a new engine ourselves as a little project to save some money.

If anyone has any info or advice it would be very much welcomed and i am struggling to find any info on the subject.

Also, do the 147's and 156's use the same engine?

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Good engines are £500-£700, so it might be cheaper to pick up an MOT-failed car (or similar).

Look for a CF3 engine. 147's, 166's and later 156's used the same ones.
Not quite, Iain! the 166 engine, whilst it uses the same block / head, has a lot of the anciliary bits different from the 156/147.......makes the engine swap a real PITA.......

And it doesn't really matter whether its a CF2 or CF3 engine - strip off the manifolds and a few sensors and the engine won't know what it is, if you don't tell it......you can even use the 145/6, 155, early GTV alloy top engines....;)

You are right about a car being cheaper to buy than an engine, though...I do it all the time......:lol:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Look for a selespeed 147 / 156, the gearboxes tend to play up before the engines let go and they are far too costly to repair. I picked up a drivable (no 3rd or 4th) selespeed for £600 about a year ago and once i'd stripped and sold everything bar the engine i'd got the engine for free :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts