Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
147 t spark 2003 50k miles - had the car services, replaced timing belt, balance belt last year by trusted garage - started the car this morning and a tapping/rattling noise came from the top of the engine on start up, left the car ticking over but noise still there, drove around the block all running ok but noise still there. Not sure if this has anything to do with but at the weekend had to move the car out of the garage so only had the engine running for 20 seconds, left it for a few hours then put the car back - suggestions please

·
0 Posts
147 t spark 2003 50k miles - had the car services, replaced timing belt, balance belt last year by trusted garage - started the car this morning and a tapping/rattling noise came from the top of the engine on start up, left the car ticking over but noise still there, drove around the block all running ok but noise still there. Not sure if this has anything to do with but at the weekend had to move the car out of the garage so only had the engine running for 20 seconds, left it for a few hours then put the car back - suggestions please
did you get your variator changed when the belt was done?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just had a look on the garage receipt - it says timing belt kit and balance belt kit - do you think this would have included the variator?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, will have to check it out. Having said that, just driven 15 miles and the noise has gone, will wait until morning & see if it happens again. But thanks. Useful website...

·
0 Posts
thanks, will have to check it out. Having said that, just driven 15 miles and the noise has gone, will wait until morning & see if it happens again. But thanks. Useful website...
Definitely the variator then.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey all,

Car ALFA 147 2003 147 2.0 TS Selespeed

i just replace the belts on my alfa (cambelt and Balancer) and in doing so replaced the Variator. In the process of the work i broke the very flimsy variator solenoid terminal. I replaced it with one i picked up off ebay. However first start of the car and it sounds like a diesel.

Does it sound like something is going wrong with the variator?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPdate

Since my last post i ran the car for an hour, phoned my regular garage and held by mob over the running engine and asked for his opinion, he said it could be `hydraulicking` - and that it could take 5 mins or a few hours for it to go, needless to say, I started it the next morning, noise still there, ran it for a few hours, noise went, hasnt come back and the cars been running great since. So I guess tha garage was right, however I will keep an ear out and if its does start again i will definately follow it up further. Thank you all for your imput

1 - 12 of 12 Posts