Alfa Romeo Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah ;) Any guesses though at what I do then answers on a postcard...

Back on topic, Thanks for all this and I'll do the top hats on my GT 'just in case' and a quickshift kit while I'm there as it'll be rude not to, all loving lashed in red rubber grease, so reports back on the quickshift kit please!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I swapped the GTA shifter from my Ducati Corse to my GT Cloverleaf last weekend, ordered a Totallyalfa short shifter on Thursday, I ll fit it next weekend and see what its like, if I dont like it I can always sell it.

What do you think of it ?
Once I'd fitted it, it felt good. I then swopped out the bushed in the gear linkages which actually made the change slightly harder. You definitely have to push harder to select a gear. I have read that it some times needs a little bedding in, but I'm not so sure on that.
You can definitely tell the difference in the length of change. Its a very easy fit so if it doesn't get any better then I go back to the original.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Anyone who has changed their bushes where they hard plastic or rubber?
Bushes are hard plastic, really through your post I thought would change mine on the 147 at the weekend. No grease at all on old ones were very dry and one of the bushes was cracked. A easy £5 fix.

As far as the quick shifter is concerned it will bed in. I put one on my GTV about 2 years ago and very smooth now. Having just done the one on 147 it is a bit clunky however so was the GTV at first, it will smooth out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Bushes are hard plastic, really through your post I thought would change mine on the 147 at the weekend. No grease at all on old ones were very dry and one of the bushes was cracked. A easy £5 fix.

As far as the quick shifter is concerned it will bed in. I put one on my GTV about 2 years ago and very smooth now. Having just done the one on 147 it is a bit clunky however so was the GTV at first, it will smooth out.
Ah brilliant thanks. Yeah they where £5 off ebay. When I took it apart it still had plenty of grease on the original but my gear change prior was still rather clunky. They car has had a new uprated clutch so I know that's fine. Not to sure what it could be.. I'll wait out to see if it beds in like you mentioned.

I'm loving the car though they handle amazingly I'm so glad I had it remapped it pulls like a train.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Evening guys,

Does anyone have any ideas as to why I find it really hard to select a gear when driving my DC. I mentioned previously I have recently changed the gear linkage bushes and placed a new shifter but it was hard to select a gear prior to this. I was hoping that doing this it ould solve the problem unfortunately not.

The car has had a new clutch fitted and the bite point is all good it is just really difficult to select a gear when the car is cold. This does ease up as she warms up but it still isn't as smooth as it should be.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Kind regards

Dean.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Spacemonkey,
I'm just about go and check the level. As for age it's at least 2 years old. I'm looking at booker her in at Autolusso Penrith next month once I've arranged it with them.

Thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just wondering if the oil is the correct level and spec and new enough. Can't think of anythign else if you've done the linkages etc and the clutch is ok.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Its supposed to be sealed for life.

Maybe the bushes werent done correctly ?

On my first 147 with this gearbox a selector fork broke, although I could only select 2 gears then.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Its supposed to be sealed for life.

Maybe the bushes werent done correctly ?

On my first 147 with this gearbox a selector fork broke, although I could only select 2 gears then.
Bushes are all good, the problem was the same before I changed the bushed to be honest that's why I decided to change them as thought it might remedy the issue, no such luck. Is there a chance that the piece you take off when replacing the bushed may need adjusting slightly ( sorry not sure what the piece is called) it was mentioned in the video that it would be hard to select a gear if this piece was not adjusted correctly.

Thoughts

·
Vendor
45,453 Posts
H
Evening guys,

Does anyone have any ideas as to why I find it really hard to select a gear when driving my DC. I mentioned previously I have recently changed the gear linkage bushes and placed a new shifter but it was hard to select a gear prior to this. I was hoping that doing this it ould solve the problem unfortunately not.

The car has had a new clutch fitted and the bite point is all good it is just really difficult to select a gear when the car is cold. This does ease up as she warms up but it still isn't as smooth as it should be.

Kind regards

Dean.
How old is the new clutch? Did it have a new dual mass flywheel or has it had a solid flywheel conversion? Do you know if the new clutch was Valeo or AP? Was the clutch slave cylinder changed at the same time, if so do you know what brand was fitted?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #115 (Edited by Moderator)
H

How old is the new clutch? Did it have a new dual mass flywheel or has it had a solid flywheel conversion? Do you know if the new clutch was Valeo or AP? Was the clutch slave cylinder changed at the same time, if so do you know what brand was fitted?

This is what I have from Autolusso South. It has also had a fare few parts taken off an old DC that my DC's previous owner wrote off and had transferred by Autolusso. It did look like it had a new clutch slave cylinder when I was changing the bushes in the gear linkage. As to weather the clutch is Veleo or AP I'm unsure. All the work was carried out at Autolusso South so I would assume its to the correct standard.

·
Vendor
45,453 Posts
That clutch is Valeo, which is good news. Doesn't look to have had a new slave cylinder billed out. So if it looks new, it could be a new but cheap/incorrect slave fitted. They have different internal diameters and it effectively moves the bite point up/down the pedal. I'd fit a brand new Genuine Alfa slave cylinder to rule it out.

How old is the clutch? The fitting date is cut off your photo of the invoice.

Also you might want to remove the pic - it shows your name, address & phone number.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
The clutch was fitted in July last year and has only covered 2k since it was fitted. Details are from the previous owner lol. But yeah I'll take it down now. Really appreciate the help Pud. Iy might be easier for to just come up and see you, I'm in Cheshire so it's not to fare to travel.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Slave cylinder could be your issue as Dan mentioned. Get Autolusso to look as sure Dan will sort you out.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Evening guys,

Kind regards

Dean.
Dryden motors in sale did a fabulous job on my 159 3.2 q4 clutch, I can't recommend them highly enough. All for a reasonable price!

101 - 120 of 126 Posts