Alfa Romeo Forum banner

81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Evening guys,

So I've had my DC for a week and covered around 600 glorious miles.
However I've started to notice a few things and would appreciate a little guidance if possible.

First problem.

When changing gear it can be a little difficult to get in to gear (not as smooth as it should be) it recenters fine and is not sticky. Any Ideas?

Second problem.

I get a funny rubbing/clunking noise from what sounds like the top front right when either going over bumps or going around a left corner (with a little hast) I've been be told all the bushes have been replaced front and rear plus the anti roll bar struts(I think that's what their called apologies)
The steering the its self still feels very responsive with no steering wheel wobble at higher speeds.

I know definitely need to replace both outer tie rods as they are extremely corroded.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Sounds like the bushes in the gear linkage are on the way out, theyre a couple of quid each and very easy to change.

The noise rubbing could be a drop front link/both front drop links (anti roll bar struts) or if its coming from the top maybe the bearing in the front top mount.

Do the drop links move if you shake them ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Hi, I'm not sure yet I'll get up on the stands at the weekend and have a wiggle and pull with the wheels off and see if I can find any play.

With the gear linkages, that the one under the battery tray? If so seems like an easy fix. I might just do it any way as I have to take all apart to look. Lol.

Cheers Typos1

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Yeah, thats the gear linkage bushes under the battery.

You can shake the drop links without putting it on stands.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Ah OK, I'll have look tomorrow. I've just ordered gear linkage bushes. Took the opportunity to order the outer tie rods big deal on EuroParts/Car Parts 4 Less £20 for the set.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Cheers Phil crazy,

Why the hell not, parts ordered. I watched the video last night, 🤔agreed not so sure on the vaselin like, think I'll stick with the standard grease. 😂

Cheers for the idea.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Silicone grease/brake grease/red rubber grease would certainly be best, but Vaseline would also work ok - its just a petroleum based grease.

The last thing anyone should use Vaseline on is themselves - putting petroleum based substances on living things is not good, whatever the marketing says.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
So, short shifter attached new bushed and GREASE not vaselin in the gear linkage no off for a test drive.

Next....... Tie rod ends when ever they arrive. Turns out the knocking noise was a loose bold on the anti roll bar link, easy free fix for once.

Has anyone else's handbrake button cracked? Managed to find a new one but £12 seems a little steep for a small peice of plastic.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
So, short shifter attached new bushed and GREASE not vaselin in the gear linkage no off for a test drive.
I swapped the GTA shifter from my Ducati Corse to my GT Cloverleaf last weekend, ordered a Totallyalfa short shifter on Thursday, I ll fit it next weekend and see what its like, if I dont like it I can always sell it.

What do you think of it ?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'd be interested to know too!

Incidentally I put glycerine, polyglycol and parrafin on the faces and hands of all my clients and it really helps with skin rehydration. None of them complained yet, but they don't fall into your criterior... ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Incidentally I put glycerine, polyglycol and parrafin on the faces and hands of all my clients and it really helps with skin rehydration. None of them complained yet, but they don't fall into your criterior... ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Vaseline doesnt actually rehydrate, what it does is prevent the moisture loss in the first place by forming a barrier over the skin that water vapour cant penetrate.

Still wouldnt want it on my skin though.

Um, your clients ? Are you a massuer ?

The hand brake button was broke and replaced when I first got my GT as well as new gear selector cables and the gear selector bracket. The short shifter kit is different for the JTS.
Yeah, different gearbox, same principle though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, that's right- topically applied glycerine and polyglycol are humectants and draw subdermal fuid into the epidermis and the parrafin (baby oil) works as a barrier, like vaseline, to prevent water loss through evaporation. For the last few months I have been injecting via the arterial system a mixture of all three and it's been working wonders, but I'm still experimenting on mix and ratios. Logic tells me it shouldn't quite work by injection but it does... For god's sake don't try this at home or you WILL end up as one of my clients... ;)

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Via the arterial system, OMG I dont like the sound of that either !

Now I m thinking cosmetic surgeon or something, not masseur. 🤔

81 - 100 of 118 Posts