Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Cheers twin cam, I've been toying with a new head unit with speakers there's quite alot of deals out there at the min.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Typos1,
Absolutely brilliant, it's only down the road as well.

Is it big job to fit.
Not really, youve gotta remove all the door cards to change the speakers and fit the loom under the door sill covers to the boot, plus add a plug on the back of the headunit, theres a guide here :

I had a Ducati Corse and now have a GTA which has the Bose system. I wouldn't bother fitting it, it's crap.
Its way better than the standard set up.

Its far from the best system, but its also far from being "crap".

Certainly the sub on the 147 is not as good as it could be - it rattles with some Base, I found a Helix one the same size with the same spec which sorted that.

·
Premium Member
45,238 Posts
I don't have a Bose system to sell. I really liked the Bose setup in my old 147 GTA. Sounded decent - not as good as the Alpine headunit, upgraded door speakers and sub that was in my 156 V6, but way better than the stock audio in my old 147 Sport Q2. The great thing about the Bose system is that it is an easy install, and you can remove it again when you sell the car and you'll probably get back what you paid for it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Cheers guys, I really appreciate the advise.
I'm sure there be many more issues and questions to ask in the very near future. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just don't think it's worth any extra over the standard system. To say it has a sub in the boot, it still has very little bass with the level maxed out and the door speakers don't really sound much different to me. It's slightly better, that's all. Apparently it's better with an upgraded HU. Up until last year, I've had company cars for a while and the standard system in new Golfs/Passats is way better - I was expecting a similar quality given the brand. Maybe I was just expecting too much from a dated setup.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
When was the last time you had your ears syringed ?!

Seriously though, there deffo IS a difference, so maybe you had a car that someone had fitted the sub in the boot and the "Bose" badges in the tweeters ? Quite a few people on here have done that.

Or it was broken. Or youre expecting nightclub/chavvy boy racer with the boot filled with subs standards of bass or something. I listened to mine today, theres no way it could be described as "hardly any bass". Deffo something not right if thats what youre saying. And yeah it is a bit old, but speaker and amp tec hasnt changed that much.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree, mine is pretty good. I am running a 10" touchscreen head unit though, but I'm also deaf. With tweaking the equalizer I can get near normal sound (for my ears that is...). It's not going to light up the local Maccy Ds car park, but I'm a grown up and prefer a flat cap to a baseball cap so I don't care. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
This is along shot but I'll give it avo anyway.

Has anyone ever owned a 147 Ducati Corse reg SO09CXY. I'm trying to find out if my DC has ever had a combelt change.

It used to a full fold full or receipts but this have been lost during transfer of ownerships during the years.

I know some people will say just change it but the car has only done 50k so I'm a little reluctant as I could direct the money to other area's that need attention (there's a few lol)

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
45,238 Posts
This is along shot but I'll give it avo anyway.

Has anyone ever owned a 147 Ducati Corse reg SO09CXY. I'm trying to find out if my DC has ever had a combelt change.

It used to a full fold full or receipts but this have been lost during transfer of ownerships during the years.

I know some people will say just change it but the car has only done 50k so I'm a little reluctant as I could direct the money to other area's that need attention (there's a few lol)

Thanks in advance.
Swirl flap delete it, cambelt it while you're there, these are the most vital jobs you can do on these cars. Swirl flaps wreck the engine when (not if) they get sucked into the engine, and cambelt failures put an £800 sized dent in your pocket, not quite as bad as swirl flap ingress but bad enough. At 50k I'd think the rest of the car will be OK. Maybe if its never had any front suspension work at all, it'll be getting close to needing wishbones & ARB bushes.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts

Cambelts arent changed just because of the miles the engine has done, they are time also limited, for 6 years, the material degrades after the specified time, so even if its only done 2000 miles since the last change, if it was more than 6 years ago it ll still need changing again. And I m quoting Alfas timescales, I think Pud will say 5 years . . .

·
Premium Member
45,238 Posts
Cambelts arent changed just because of the miles the engine has done, they are time also limited, for 6 years, the material degrades after the specified time, so even if its only done 2000 miles since the last change, if it was more than 6 years ago it ll still need changing again. And I m quoting Alfas timescales, I think Pud will say 5 years . . .
Although Alfa state the JTD cambelt needs changing every 72,000 miles (ie the 6th service), it also says to change it every 5 years.. I even think 5 years is a bit long on the 1.9 16v purely because the waterpump bearings are so stressed with how the belt doubles back over them. I do all mine at 4 years / 48k.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Peugeots are 10 years too.

Which Vauxhall engines are you talking about Spacemonkey ? If its their Fiat based diesels, therye the same as the JTDs, so it would actually be possible.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Y'all should count yourselve's lucky- my Ducati needs belts changing every 12k miles or 2 years... Low milers are worse though as the belts take on shape when sat and then they go pop when thrashed.

It does make me wonder though why some manufacturers can make engines with 100k intervals yet others are 30k etc. Especially when it's an engine out job like Ferraris of old. But I am curious as to why Vauxhall are stating a longer interval than Alfa on the same lump. Do they use more reliable water pumps? Better belt material? That I doubt as there's such a choice and surely all built to a good standard. I usually use Gates when it comes to belts if I can and never had an issue. Maybe it's because Vauxhalls are just appliances and people who buy them (and fleet managers) just look at costs, whereas Alfa buyers are more likely to be enthusiasts who accept costs like that? Would love to know the failure rate and stats of Vauxhall/SAAB versions as we know of evidence to warrant the 48k/4yr on Alfas.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Another retrofitted Bose system here. It's not bad at all IMO, especially for the £100 or so they cost on eBay. I'm quite fussy about hifi but the Bose doesn't **** me off. Well, OK, the treble is a bit harsh, but it's far better than the usual cheap OEM ICE in any car I can afford. Bass is there, and quite articulate but stops short of causing nosebleeds.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My Chrysler 300C had better bass due to shelf mounted 6x9s in the Boston Audio setup, but treble was too lacking for my (lack of) hearing. The Alfa's Bose can be made just right. Bit more bass wouldn't hurt but it's ok tbh. Nice treble on my Bose, even if it's nearly maxxed out - much to my passenger's irritation. Just wish it had real tweeters behind the fake covers..

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
The Bose in the GT is slightly different to the 147 Bose - the sub is different, the 147's is paper, the GT's is composite.

Thats why I swapped out the sub for a Helix one on my 147.

61 - 80 of 118 Posts