Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a 147 Ducati Corse and would appreciate any advise on what to look out for. I found one with 50k on the clock with new clutch and various other bits done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DT.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Nothing different from any other 147 1.9 really, apart from making sure it has the diff (the car should pull you into a corner rather than understeering) and the correct JTD 170 injectors and glow plugs. And dont be put off by mileage - these engines can take 250,000 plus.

You cant really check the injectors but it should be noticeably quicker than 150 1.9 JTDs.

Dont necessarily walk away if its hard to start - most people dont know that the JTD 170 engine uses different glow plugs than the 140 and 150 1.9 JTDs and fitting the wrong plugs can cause starting issues - I ve owned 3 cars with the 170 1.9 and 2 of them were very difficult to start, one had "normal" 1.9 JTD 16v plugs, the other had the normal plugs plus an 075 battery (for small petrols, nowhere near enough CCAs) instead of an 096.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If it’s the back one on autotrader then it sounds like a cracker, well cared for and wanted for nothing.
I had the swirl flaps blanked off on mine for peace of mind.
the front suspension tends to be a weak point so worth seeing if any parts have been replaced.
I absolutely loved mine and regret selling it, I’m almost tempted to sell my G cloverleaf for one again - that’s how good they are!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Swirl flaps exist largely to mitigate the deliberately degraded combustion created by EGR. EGR reduces O2 available, to reduce combustion temp and NOx at low revs but lower O2 means higher HC emissions from unburnt fuel. Swirl attempts to reduce the increased the HC by better mixing of what O2 is available. So the two horrid kludge technologies work together, and if you're going to delete one, it's better to delete the other, or retain both at the risk of flap ingestion.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Swirl flaps exist largely to mitigate the deliberately degraded combustion created by EGR. EGR reduces O2 available, to reduce combustion temp and NOx at low revs but lower O2 means higher HC emissions from unburnt fuel. Swirl attempts to reduce the increased the HC by better mixing of what O2 is available. So the two horrid kludge technologies work together, and if you're going to delete one, it's better to delete the other, or retain both at the risk of flap ingestion.
CF3 1.9 JTD 16Vs had EGR but no flaps, so did CF3 2.4s and many other engines from many manufacturers had and still have EGR and no flaps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, thanks for the info, yeah it the black one on Auto Trader. I've spoken to the guy (Charlie) and he's been pretty honest about the car. He says the Cam belt has been done by the previous owner but has no proof. He has emailed me all the receipts he has from Auto lusso proving the work he has had done. Down side is that both wheels have been picked up in the last MOT for being either buckled or flat spotted (pot hole I assume) He also only has part service history.

I have also found a Red one with FSH but with slightly higher mileage 88k apossed to 50k on the black.

I really want one of these cars and am ready to buy one I just don't know which one.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks in advance.

Deano

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I wouldnt worry too much about mileage, condition is more important, drive both and see which you prefer.

Is the red one the one thats been on ebay for the last 3 or so months ? It looks in good but its ridiculously priced.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, thanks for the info, yeah it the black one on Auto Trader. I've spoken to the guy (Charlie) and he's been pretty honest about the car. He says the Cam belt has been done by the previous owner but has no proof. He has emailed me all the receipts he has from Auto lusso proving the work he has had done. Down side is that both wheels have been picked up in the last MOT for being either buckled or flat spotted (pot hole I assume) He also only has part service history.

I have also found a Red one with FSH but with slightly higher mileage 88k apossed to 50k on the black.

I really want one of these cars and am ready to buy one I just don't know which one.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks in advance.

Deano

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,
There was 2 on Ebay both priced around 4k both sound good one at 59k and one at 87k. I did see one in pistonheads for £7500 not sure why it's up for that like. I would test drive both but one is in Salisbury and the other in West Yorkshire and I live in Cheshire. Lol. I'll speak to owner of the red one tomorrow and see what it's had done. The black one has everything that needs to be done done, but just lacks the paperwork to prove some of the work (cam belt)

Decisions Decisions. Lol

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Yeah I saw both on ebay, the black one was on there too. Spose the black one would be the one to go for then, its nearer and much cheaper.

Although shameless plug alert if you wait a few months mine will be up for sale, its red, its got stuff no other UK Ducati Corse has - the alloy rear subframe from a GTA, the bigger rear brakes from the GT, Bose, heigt adjsutable passenger seat, chrome rearkickplates as well as fronts and illuminated vanity mirrors, cam belt/water pump was done Aug 2018 .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I saw both on ebay, the black one was on there too. Spose the black one would be the one to go for then, its nearer and much cheaper.

Although shameless plug alert if you wait a few months mine will be up for sale, its red, its got stuff no other UK Ducati Corse has - the alloy rear subframe from a GTA, the bigger rear brakes from the GT, Bose, heigt adjsutable passenger seat, chrome rearkickplates as well as fronts and illuminated vanity mirrors, cam belt/water pump was done Aug 2018 .
LOL, what price are we talking about? = 3 door or 5.
= millage?

No shame there mate, surely that's what part of the forum is for. Lol.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Its a 5 door with 113,000 on it. Was going to put it up for 2395, which looked a good price when there was only the 2 red ones we mentioned earlier around, that black one messed that up lol.

I guess so, lol.

·
Registered
32,787 Posts
The Q2 Sport is pretty good too. I had one when they were new because it was a subtler Ducati Corse with my favourite 17s. I got sick of the feeling of fragility and got my first Giulietta which didn’t have the creaking seats and suspension. It also didn’t have the super alive steering of the 147.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
The Q2 Sport is pretty good too. I had one when they were new because it was a subtler Ducati Corse with my favourite 17s. I got sick of the feeling of fragility and got my first Giulietta which didn’t have the creaking seats and suspension. It also didn’t have the super alive steering of the 147.
Its good, but not as good as a Ducati Corse. I always usd to think the Q2 was basically the same as a Ducati Corse but with the 150 engine (just as I used to think that all JTD 170 engined cars had the GTA ARB set up that Ducati Corses had), but as we ve found in this thread, the Ducati had the GTA ARBs and they do make quite a difference to the handling and the way the car feels.

I removed the stripes from my Ducati, it looked subtle after that. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I've decided to go for the black DC, (test drive dependant) already had the an uprated clutch (original part) and all the bushes and usual requirements done.

I'm looking forward to putting my touch on it. The first thing I'm looking at doing is a remap. Best quote so far is £240 that's with engine condition check on the rolling road tune and print out with new projected output of 200 bhp and 400nm torque. Is there anything you guys suggest I do prior to the remap.

Dean.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its a 5 door with 113,000 on it. Was going to put it up for 2395, which looked a good price when there was only the 2 red ones we mentioned earlier around, that black one messed that up lol.

I guess so, lol.
Cheers for the info typos1, I just don't think I could wait that long. I'm going for the black one on Auto Trader, makes sense as it's had everything done that would need to be done. Meaning I can concentrate on getting the detailing sorted and with only 50k on the clock it's a must.

What's people's thoughts on removing the decals?

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Yeah, it seems like a very good deal that black one.

I prefer them off, you could order them without decals from the factory, really its down to your own personal taste.

·
Registered
32,787 Posts
The one I very nearly bought from the showroom in Epsom back in the day was a 3 door in giulietta red with those stripes. I drove it, putting a couple of miles on it, and took the brochure home. My wife said “what with those stripes?” So I searched out a black Q2 and ran that until the Giulietta was available in Alfa Red.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts