Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read several threads here and elswhere about this so it seems like a common problem - but I haven't yet seen anything from anyone who's actually fully rectified the problem.

Got out of the car tonight, used the remote to lock it as usual, walked a few yards...........alarm went off. I opened the car and repeated locking it several times and each time it was the same. I then started it and checked the door was closed properly - all seemed OK but after a few seconds the Right Door Open message was displayed and the interior light came on. I repeated this several times - most times it was the same, others the door open message was coming and going.

I locked the car with the key so as not to set the alarm but each time I locked it, it opened itself. I then went in for my dinner and returned after thinking I was going to have to disconnect the battery to avoid the interior light flattening the battery, The light had gone out - probably on a timer, never really noticed that but my van interior lights do that - its impossible to leave them on indefinitely. I tried locking it manually again and it locked.

Not wanting to play around with it in the dark, I left it at that and headed here to see if anyone's had the same and fixed it. I'm guessing there's either some sort of microswitch on ther door lock and/or the usual door switch somewhere on the door shut (haven't looked yet).

I'm going to London early Saturday morning so have limited time to find this gremlin - can anyone who's had this point me in the right direction?

·
Premium Member
7,532 Posts
it's usually a problem with the switch signifying door-closed..... If a door is not seen as closed, the doors will not lock.
There's a microswitch located in the doorlock mechanism....
Might also be an idea to check the round electric plug in the doorsil, sometimes suffers from oxidation. Sometimes just plugging/unplugging it a couple of times is enough

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's usually a problem with the switch signifying door-closed..... If a door is not seen as closed, the doors will not lock.
That was my first thought and I'm hoping that's it. I'm not 100% convinced though because this morning I drove it 3 miles to the shop and back. On each leg the door open warning was displayed and the interior light came on for a split second 4 or 5 times then all was OK - both times.

Apart from a glow plug warning, and I can't remember what happened with that, I've never had a warning light come on on the car before. Hopefully Alfa have a system where warnings are flashed up a few times after start-up and then go off again until the next start.

·
Premium Member
7,532 Posts
That was my first thought and I'm hoping that's it. I'm not 100% convinced though because this morning I drove it 3 miles to the shop and back. On each leg the door open warning was displayed and the interior light came on for a split second 4 or 5 times then all was OK - both times.
seems consistent with an intermittent doorswitch contact
In the 147, these switches (and many others) are read by the central bodycomputer, that also takes care of most electrical switching, like alarm, doorlocks, fault indications, lights etc.etc.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
It may be the wiring connector at the door hinge.
In any case, because it keeps unlocking itself, keep locking it again. After about 30 seconds, the system disables itself to prevent overheating damage. Once disabled, you can lock it just mechanically or even set the alarm afterwards. Just make sure you keep the alarm synchronisation correct. It is only a short term measure until it is fixed though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts