Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help.....Just started my install today........comps,amp and HU, got to the door and found the molex connector! had to drill through it ..... took absolotely ages to do....my hands are killin me because of all the awkwadness of it...it hurts to type on here! doea any one know if i could just use the riginal speaker wire going through the molex connector on the 147 and then in the kick panel connect my own speaker wirer to it and then in the footwell connect my own speaker wire to it...soo the only factory speaker wire going to it would be just going through the molex.......
any help will be gratefully appreciated

·
Registered
324 Posts
There is absoultely nothing wrong with doing it that way.. The relatively short run will have no impact on the sound.. (that any normal person can hear).

I did it the hard way for my midbasses, but not going that route again when/if I go 3-way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alfa1999 said:
Gavin how are you mounting your amp?
Well.....i was gonna put it in the boot like everyone else, but then i thought.....i never have more than like 3 people in the car at any one time, so ive decided to mount it under the drivers seat, it means that if some one sits behind me they wont have any leg room but i have my seat that far back they wouldent any way and also ill jus get them to use the middle seat and the seat behind the passengers seat, the amp fits perfectly in the space and it is goin to be mounted to a piece of wook to fit the space under the drivers seat exactly, there are also 3 very good ground connections here also, just take one of the bolts out scrape away the paint to bare metal and connect---currently got 4awg wire grounded. the hard bit is installing the components in the door and gettin new speaker wire through! gonna use standard wire thats all ready there for the drivers side, still doin the passengers door after like 2 days!!!! just getting wire through the molex connector in the door is very hard work!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I would stick it in the boot. Ok, you're not bothered abuot passenger leg space, but what happens if some dozy idiot with his feet bashes your power connections / knocks out the output wires and they short the amp or something?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Gavin have you put the new tweeters in? what components are you putting in? how easy was it getting the new tweeters in? what did you have to do?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rob 156 said:
I would stick it in the boot. Ok, you're not bothered abuot passenger leg space, but what happens if some dozy idiot with his feet bashes your power connections / knocks out the output wires and they short the amp or something?
Lol....i don't think that will happen as 1) i never ever have more than 3-4 people in the car, so i will make sure no 1 sits behind me and 2) all the connections have a metal cage covering them all up which connects on to the amp so no chance of any one hitting the connections

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alfa1999 said:
Gavin have you put the new tweeters in? what components are you putting in? how easy was it getting the new tweeters in? what did you have to do?
Still in the process of doing it, the tweeters i got came with a number of differnet ways to fix them, i used the original factory poistion, they dont fir at all, but cable tied them to it and theyre nice and strong, however the BIG problem is the standard woofer hole in the door, it is a 6 and a half inch one, but the magnet on the standard one is no bigger than a smal orange, so the door is fitted out for the speaker....soo when i have brought me nice new JBL c608gti components with a huge magnet on they wont fit in to the door because the hole is soooo small, am debating wheather to cut the door down a bit to make them fit or just put them in the parcel shelf because the next problem is getting the crossover somewhere, the croosover in this set of comps is so big it will not fit any where so will have to fit i externally and i cant even run 1 piece of 16awg thorugh the molex connector in the door let alne 2 pieces of wire, im strongly tempted tojus put them in the parcel shelf as it is provingto hard to put these particular components in to the door...picturesa are below of what i mean

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think i can see that your using the spaekers spacers, are you? I would guess that it would be okay to shave open the hole! but if you do make sure you cover up the bare metal with paint or sound proof.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Modify the door to make them fit.. It would be a waste to put them in the parcel shelf. Especially since you've already put cable in there.

There is a speaker adapter avalible for the 147, might get you the clearance you need. If not you could try cutting a spacer out of some MDF.

Adapter: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1880.html

You might also want to think about applying some Dynamat or other dampening material to the doors.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello,
Yes i am using speaker spacers the autoleads ones, to get the magnet to fit in the hole i need a diameter of minimum 5 inches around, the jbl crossovers i have are huge!

the tweeter is 15.2cm lengh and 12cm width, some big components inside it and weighs a fair bit for a crossover -

here is the back magnet of the speaker with the diameter of 5 inches -

and also the front of the speaker -

I have looked at cutting the metal back and also i would have to place the croosover inside the car, i havent got the wire through the molex(16awg), its near impossible....can some one please prove me wrong on that one?!?! ive assessed the amount of work that needs to be done and the impractivcality of it and im havin to say that they are going to be going in the parcel shelf....i really dont want to have to, ive been outside in the freezzin cold looking at every possible option for the past few hours and cant see one...soo this weekend they will be going in the parcel shelf and the crossovers will be fitting on to them nicely

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello,
Yes i am using speaker spacers the autoleads ones, to get the magnet to fit in the hole i need a diameter of minimum 5 inches around, the jbl crossovers i have are huge! i have dynamat extreme kit as well to cover the doors to, was going to apply it with heat gun for air tight fixture

the tweeter is 15.2cm lengh and 12cm width, some big components inside it and weighs a fair bit for a crossover -

here is the back magnet of the speaker with the diameter of 5 inches -

and also the front of the speaker -

I have looked at cutting the metal back and also i would have to place the croosover inside the car, i havent got the wire through the molex(16awg), its near impossible....can some one please prove me wrong on that one?!?! ive assessed the amount of work that needs to be done and the impractivcality of it and im havin to say that they are going to be going in the parcel shelf....i really dont want to have to, ive been outside in the freezzin cold looking at every possible option for the past few hours and cant see one...soo this weekend they will be going in the parcel shelf and the crossovers will be fitting on to them nicely

·
Registered
324 Posts
I managed to get 14 awg speaker wire into the doors of my 156.. It took ~3 hours for the first one and an hour for the last one. I used Audison S214 cable (twisted).

I found out that to get through the grommit inside the car you need a 7mm drill bit, I then proceded with a 3mm drillbit on the molex. Pulled the cable through one bit at a time and reassembled as I got on.
Have a look through my install pics to get some inspiration:
http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/Martin156/?start=120

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah i took a drill to the molex a 3.5mm, got through the one connecting to the car the cable went through fine, but the one in the door.......took me alot longer than 3 hours, gave up in the end because my hand were acking,sore,bleeding, still hurting me now, it just would not get through, also i notice on your install that you could get the molex connectors out alot further than what you can in the 147, i could not get the one in the door out of the door pannel(ill try post a pic tomoz so u know what i mean) and also the one connecting to the car did not come out very far either, also your speaker holes are huge compred to the 147, i can not fit the magnet through because the hole is liek ive said about the same size as a small orange (should bea pic of it sum where in this thread) ive had alook at all the other options and the comps are going in the parcel shelf now as i have not got the right tools to drill a 5 inch diameter hole around the metal speaker hole and also the crossover will fit no where in the door panel

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alfa1999 said:
Hey Gavin i found this, it might of help:

(Proper wiring through car molexs')

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=78731&PN=1&TPN=1

Hello,
Yeah that was the guide i was going by to get through the molex, must work for every other car apart from an alfa!!! was near impossible on getting it though, its so tight to get it thorugh and the molex does not come out very far either so u can easily drill a whole through!

Anyways...i have been defeten, im havin to mount my 6 1/2 inch comps on the parcel shelf for a number of reasons.........

1) can not get wire through molex

2) i have checked every where in the door and the sheer size of the crossover i have will not fit any where in the door so wuld have to go in the actual car and i can not even get 1 piece of wire through the door let alone 2!!!

3) even with the autoleads spacer on and a mdf one i have made i still cannot get clearance with the window coming down, the window gets caught on the speaker

4) i can not fir the door back on afterwards because the speaker would stick out to much to allow the window to come up and down

5) i need to cut away alot of the metal where the original speaker was because the magent on my new speaker is absolotely massive!!! and will not fit where the original speaker was fitted!

6) i dont really have the tools and a few weeks of spare time to do all of this! sooo i am sadly having to result in putting them in to the back parcel shelf

( i know it will not sound very good, but i really have no choice....unless there is some way i could puit them in an mdf box and put them sum where up front...any ideas any one?) unless some one wants to come on around and try the impossible (well i think so anyways)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Did anyone use original cables that go through the molex connector? It seems like a good idea, but I don't know on which cable to hook on...

·
Registered
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8TS
423 Posts
Did anyone use original cables that go through the molex connector? It seems like a good idea, but I don't know on which cable to hook on...
SICMA Terminal Female Step 2 8mmq for sale | eBay I used these (and obviously the opposing male connector), in the spare routings available in the door loom connector.
I've run Connection S214 Twist to all 4 doors - from the boot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts