Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought back my 147 (yay!) having sold it to a friend about 15 months ago. They've looked after it well but the door mirrors refuse to fold anymore. I used to fold them in whenever I parked on a road etc as they do stick out quite a long way, but now they won't budge. No amount of pushing seems to make them move. I don't want to break them by pushing too hard. I've even given them a bit of a soaking with WD40 but that's not helped so far. There is nothing visually to see and they still adjust etc just as they should.
Any ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mine won't fold either. Don't apply brute force or they will snap ... found out the hard way. The internal metal structure is made out of some sort of aluminium alloy that corrodes. You can remove them and try to clean them ... or just replace them with new ones and apply some protective coating inside before the install.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone - I thought they might have corroded in some way. Ok, I'll either live with it or see if I can gently ease them in some way.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine won't fold either. Don't apply brute force or they will snap ... found out the hard way. The internal metal structure is made out of some sort of aluminium alloy that corrodes. You can remove them and try to clean them ... or just replace them with new ones and apply some protective coating inside before the install.
Any idea how to remove them? I'd happily try to free them up if I knew how to dismantle them!:confused:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The internal triangular trim just pulls off, the mirror is usually held on by three bolts...although that won't help with your folding problem as you'll need to remove the mirror housing from the support bracket. Never done that but I assume you'll need to pop the glass out.

There's a guide somewhere in the forum for replacing the mirror cover with the blackline satin covers, this involves removing the glass, have a search for it.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More news re my mirrors - the good news is the passenger side mirror has suddenly decided that it will fold now. Tried again the other day and it just folded without much difficulty. The bad news is I thought I'd encourage the drivers side one to do the same and have ended up breaking it, just as people had warned might happen. Have bought a new mirror from Autolusso but now can't get the broken mirror off. The Torx screw nearest the hinge won't budge. Have mutilated it and it just won't budge. Has been soaked with WD40 no no avail yet. Any ideas anyone? Have tried to cut a slot in it for a large screwdriver but no luck shifting it yet. That will teach me to try and free up the mirror - should have just lived with it!

·
Registered
142 Posts
same prob

More news re my mirrors - the good news is the passenger side mirror has suddenly decided that it will fold now. Tried again the other day and it just folded without much difficulty. The bad news is I thought I'd encourage the drivers side one to do the same and have ended up breaking it, just as people had warned might happen. Have bought a new mirror from Autolusso but now can't get the broken mirror off. The Torx screw nearest the hinge won't budge. Have mutilated it and it just won't budge. Has been soaked with WD40 no no avail yet. Any ideas anyone? Have tried to cut a slot in it for a large screwdriver but no luck shifting it yet. That will teach me to try and free up the mirror - should have just lived with it!
hi jess
i have same problem drivers side , it will not budge !, & yet the passenger side folds easy. i think i will leave well alone!, unless you know a easier way .
i hope you find a way to unscrew , keep us informned.
best of luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts