Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to refurb the door cards as they all have sagging lining, almost falling off. This one is from the rear and the material was just about all the way off and dropping foam pieces all over the floor. I have read that it is difficult to reaffix the material as it is press on at the factory. I plan on cleaning the panel and painting it.

The foam/glue is really stuck on. Does anyone have any suggestions to get it off without damaging the panel? Also, is the panel plastic? It doesn't fell as it is.

I am thinking of cutting the plastic welds off at the back and removing just the insert piece then gluing it back together.

147_Rear_Door_Card.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks for confirming.

I won't want to be getting them too wet to clean them that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
You should see if a auto-upholsterer can re-use what you already have if you have not removed it completely from the backing card.

It will be hard fitting new pieces of vinyl, as the processes used at the factory are difficult to replicate at home, as you have already pointed out.

Painting will be ok, you will probably have to use an assortment of solvents to remove the sticky residue.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have stripped and painted the door cards from my 147 (cloth over foam).

After peeling off the old cloth (easy since it was more or less falling off already), to remove the old glue and remnants of foam I first I tried various solvents and rags, but this was not very effective. Then I tried using water and a relatively soft 'scrubbing' brush (actually a dust pan brush), which worked much better, removing most of the offending gunk with surprising ease. I can't recall if I used a detergent or not.

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have stripped and painted the door cards from my 147 (cloth over foam).

After peeling off the old cloth (easy since it was more or less falling off already), to remove the old glue and remnants of foam I first I tried various solvents and rags, but this was not very effective. Then I tried using water and a relatively soft 'scrubbing' brush (actually a dust pan brush), which worked much better, removing most of the offending gunk with surprising ease. I can't recall if I used a detergent or not.

Regards,
John.
Do you have any photos of the end product. I was thinking of doing this on my 147 as the fabric is basically about to fall off. Cheers!

·
Registered
777 Posts
The following thread is about my adventure with the door cards, and has a photo:

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi John, I did come across your previous thread and it was very helpful. Thank you for the post.

On this door card the material had come away on all sides except the top. It has already shrunk so there is not much chance it can be reused. I'm think of getting new material and recovering it in three sections hiding the ends in the grooves.

This guy has given me some inspiration :) How to Vinyl Wrap a Door Panel (OEM)- Car Upholstery

·
Registered
777 Posts
The covering material will I expect need to be very stretchy, which is why I decided not to arrempt recovering the cards. I just doubted that any of the stretchy materials that I looked at would have been stretchy enough, but I never tried so I don't really know for sure...

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It is a very difficult process to put new material (leather, vinyl) to a door panel like this. I found out the hard way. Ofcourse a car upholsterer would do a good job but not 100%. The only solution as an expert told me (and did in fact) is to use the original vinyl upholstery but you must not in any case remove it by yourself because some hours later it will shrink and will not fit, but to get it to his workshop. As he also explained this panel must be among the most difficult, because it has the big curve at the rear and you have to heat the leather or vinyl before you glue it with very little chance of success eventually.

·
Registered
39,119 Posts
The original trimming of the fibrit armrest insert will have probably included a male tool to the female insert?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is what I was thinking. The vinyl is pressed and stretched into shape at the same time with a mating tool that fits the insert. The vinyl is heated to stretch to the shape and stuck on with heat activated adhesive.

·
Registered
777 Posts
IMO it will be next to impossible to make any covering material conform into the profiles of those grooves. I think it would be much easier to fill them in some manner before covering the cards (or attempting to cover them, because even with the groove depressions filled in I think it will be a difficult job...).

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had that problem with the door cards and rear panels on my GT. My auto upholsterer friend stripped all the vinyl off, cleaned off the crumbling foam and glued the vinyl back on. It was a difficult job, but it looks as good as new. The foam was a bad idea and is not needed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looks good, was payment made in a few beers? 😀
No, I paid him cash. He is very good at his job and takes pride in doing things properly. The factory uses some sort of press to fit it and that can’t be replicated, so putting foam behind it would not be possible. It would probably bunch up or wrinkle. It seems to be a 147/GT thing. My wife’s 159 doesn’t have foam on the trims. There is no need for it. My car has unique blue trim, so replacing the vinyl was not an option. In our hot weather here in South Australia it tends to shrink a bit which added to the difficulty. He did a great job of it despite that.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Reading this made me think of a "Wheeler Dealers" episode where they "flocked" a Chevvy Pacer's interior. That entire project was by a long way their biggest fail ever - but "flocking" as a means to salvage a distraught doorcard - well, just maybe. This guy did his dash:

As an alternative to a bad recovering job it could work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts