Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...

I was just wondering where can I find the stamp/engraved number to show the engine's displacement? The one somewhere on the engine block...

I recently bought a 147 TI and I'm starting to doubt if it's actually a 2.0...

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
As Iain says, they dead giveaway is the presence of the bulge in the timing belt cover at the front near the aircon compressor where it covers the balance shaft belt tensioner:)

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
Judging by the aux belt cover I would say 2 litre.

I think I remember the 1.6 and 1.8 items being narrower.

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
Take the cambelt cover off, have a look if there is a balance belt, or get a set of 2.0 cam locks. I am pretty sure they won't fit on a 2.0.

I am 99% sure you have a 2.0 from that picture. The 147 2.0 isn't massively fast even when it is running well.

Blame the weight and the gearing.

Having said that it shouldn't feel sluggish.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx Symon... Ill check it out in the morning.

The car isn't exactly sluggish, especially compared to the 1.6 VW Polo Classic I've been driving for the last 2 years...haha.

I had the car on a dyno today, and the thing that made me so curious is this:

- Standard 1.6 = 88kw
- Standard 2.0 = 110kw
- My 2001 "2.0" TI = 116kw

***BUT***

My car has a BNC Cone Filter, Viper Branch and Exhaust and the head has supposedly been gas-flowed (I can't prove this obviously)...

If it's a 2.0 with a filter and exhaust and no gas-flow, then 116kw is about correct. But if it has been gas-flowed, then by my logic, it MUST be a 1.6... Correct?

Because I heard a quality gas-flow job can add up to 20kw, which would make up the difference between the 1.6 and the 2.0... and explain the 116kw its pushing now...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
If it was a gas flowed 1.6 I would expect it to rev very easily, and have little low end torque.

The induction onTS cars isn't too bad to start with, there is even a chance you could loose a couple of BHP with an aftermarket airfilter.

I can't see a gas flow job taking a 120bhp engine up to around 160bhp, not without other serious engine work, like cams, bigger valves etc..

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Depends on how well its been gas flowed! As I've said in another thread somewhere, many many modified cars actually end up making less power than stock.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
All dynos vary in their readings - its never safe to compare a reading on one car on one road with a reading from a different car on a different machine - so unless you ran a known "stock" 2.0 back to back with yours on the same dyno, you can't draw any conclusions.

As I said above - look just under the aircon compressor - on the 2.0 the belt cover (the black plastic one) bulges out to cover the tensioner for the balance shaft belt - if it doesn't, its a 1.8 or 1.6.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx guys for the input. I spoke to the guy who sold the car to me. He says the car was originally a 1.6, but after the engine seized, due to a failed oil pump, he replaced it with a 2.0 engine... I'm still not 100% convinced though.

Alfa Romeo South Africa says the car was originally a 1.6, and that the new engine number doesn't match the original one, so his story is plausible...

My friend is going to run his standard 145 2.0 Cloverleaf on the same dyno tomorrow. We'll see what it says his power is and see how accurate this dyno is.

The "bulge" isn't really apparent to me... I think I'll wait until its next service to find out. Unless someone has a link to an image that can clarify this issue for me?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Depends how it was done, but I believe the 1.6's didn't have a variable inlet manifold, so if the original 1.6 one was fitted to the 2.0 block you'd be down a few horses.

To fit the VIM properly would have meant installing the ecu from the 2.0 donor.

I'm assuming of course that the specs for the SA market were the same as the ones over here...

·
Registered
1 Posts
for what it's worth, I've got a 1.6 and when I open the bonnet the engine lurking inside doesn't look the same as the one in your piccie - albeit that's not a very scientific way of deciding the matter!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Awesome, as am I. We can always arrange to meet somewhere then you can do a direct comparison between yours and the 1.6 I have.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That sounds great Speenvark. How about tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday 1 March) at about 5, in the Cache Park parking lot at Virgin Active? Or is there a better time or place that suits you?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts