Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me people,

What should I do about the constant creaking of my dashboard on the drivers side infront of the corner of the windscreen. When I pull on the windscreen demist vent, it stops but i don't fancy the alfa mechanics making more creaks while fixing it. Is it an easy fix? Anyone else had it? Should I just have it fixed?

It creaks under acceleration and the smallest road undulations. Apart from that, there are no other rattles after 3000 miles.

liebling

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with mine and it is very frustrating. I took mine in and they took all of the dash out and stuffed insulation along the contact surfaces. The noise now only occurs when going over big speed bumps. This is a common problem on most 147s.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Get some Silicon grease spray, spray down all gaps in dash , wipe off excess or overspray.

This should stop creeks & squeeks.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I had it fixed by the dealer. It's been months since but it has JUST come back, 2 nights ago.

Next time I go in I want to know how to take the dash off, that way I can be sure I will find a better solution myself, rather than do what they do.. which is just to take it off, jiggle it a bit and tighten the screws.

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Now I know why my car had lots of silicon/oil stains on strange places (interior/ side of dash).

Nice service of my dealer to prevent squeels before delivery. Stains were not too bad, only I thought they were strange.... :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey there Toad, where can I get a can of silicon spray most of the motor shops and hardware stores I've tried don't have it.

Plus does anyone know how to take out the centre console? Is it difficult?
I wanna put a few felt strips behind it to stop it creaking. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Hi Liebling,
I had the same problem and asked the dealer about it. They said the dashboard had to be removed and stick soft tapes everywhere they could, especially at the area the dash touches under the windshield.

I dared to trust my 147 to dealers hands, fortunately they did a good job.

So i say go for it, as long as you feel that your dealer knows what is doing.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I took Jomor's advice and got mine done and it has been considerably better although it is not cured totally as it still squeaks going over big speed humps. It is definately worth doing though as it was driving me nuts! :)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In clothing manufacturing they use silicon spray hmmm lovely smell:D doubt if it's good for you though!
You may get it at a fabric shop dressmaker etc.

My 156 had a little creak coming from the passenger side of the middile console, I packed a tiny amount of cotton wool in behind the offending place and problem solved.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Ivo:
<strong>Now I know why my car had lots of silicon/oil stains on strange places (interior/ side of dash).

Nice service of my dealer to prevent squeels before delivery. Stains were not too bad, only I thought they were strange.... :) </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Get this IVO,I have just returned from my local alfa dealer and I sat in a 147 in the showroom and guess what? I remembered what you said so I had a little look inside this brand new car and it has silicone in little places like under the drivers door handle and behind the dash.
I questioned someone there and he really was as suprised as me and knowing the guy like I do I feel his suprise was genuine.
So they must be doing it at the bloody factory!!!!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Nicola Romeo:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Ivo:
<strong>Now I know why my car had lots of silicon/oil stains on strange places (interior/ side of dash).

Nice service of my dealer to prevent squeels before delivery. Stains were not too bad, only I thought they were strange.... :) </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Get this IVO,I have just returned from my local alfa dealer and I sat in a 147 in the showroom and guess what? I remembered what you said so I had a little look inside this brand new car and it has silicone in little places like under the drivers door handle and behind the dash.
I questioned someone there and he really was as suprised as me and knowing the guy like I do I feel his suprise was genuine.
So they must be doing it at the bloody factory!!!!</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wish they had done that with mine!! At least AR know about the problem...

I have a little squeek but just live with it!! the Bose system sorts it out no probs... and the exhaust helps wink

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
Nicola,

I can imagine the "Chief of Silicon Spray To Prevent Squeeking" earning a very good living in the AR factory :D

Hmm, less points for my dealer wink

·
Premium Member
38,311 Posts
Fellas, aren't Alfas SUPPOSED to creak, rattle and sqeak??? :D

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Antonio Chico:
<strong>Fellas, aren't Alfas SUPPOSED to creak, rattle and sqeak??? :D </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">NO GOD DAMN IT NO !! THEY ARE NOT.. WAKE UP. LIFE GOES ON !!

They are supposed to keep all the good characteristics of their past and adopt the good caracteristics of other car families.. german build quality, japanese engine reliability.

If they were supposed to be stuck in the past there shouldnt be any sofisticated suspensions, hi-tech climates, airbags, VDCs, ABSs at YOUR ALFA right now..

Look at Seat, Skoda, Hyundai.. you dont want your Alfa to be worse of them in a few years, do you ??

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Hey Antonio, why dont you take a screwdriver and unscrew some parts of your 156?? Thus it will be a more original Alfa Romeo, with more creaks. :D

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
Guys,

I'm new to this topic, but as of this week, my Alfa 147 feels REALLY ALFA! I get some creaks from the dashboard when taking of.....but mmmm, I won't let the dealer touch the dashboard.....Just trying to live with it... :)

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Alfa 147 Distinctive:
<strong>Just trying to live with it... :) </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, its how you want to face your problems. If you chose to try solving them you will get a better life. If you try to avoid them or live with them, then you will never get any better.
Its just another point of view, you dont have to agree with it.

Just an idea:why dont you try a different dealer if you dont trust yours to touch your dashboard?

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
Jomor,

Maybe I'll ask them to repair it. But at this stage I'm not really annoyed with it (maybe I'll be in the future :) ).

·
Premium Member
38,311 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jomor:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Antonio Chico:
<strong>Fellas, aren't Alfas SUPPOSED to creak, rattle and sqeak??? :D </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">NO GOD DAMN IT NO !! THEY ARE NOT.. WAKE UP. LIFE GOES ON !!

They are supposed to keep all the good characteristics of their past and adopt the good caracteristics of other car families.. german build quality, japanese engine reliability.

If they were supposed to be stuck in the past there shouldnt be any sofisticated suspensions, hi-tech climates, airbags, VDCs, ABSs at YOUR ALFA right now..

Look at Seat, Skoda, Hyundai.. you dont want your Alfa to be worse of them in a few years, do you ??</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ok, ok!! Don't jump at my throat!! I believe you're right, honesltly, however, I was only, -as a JOKE-, appealing to the "Alfa Folklore". wink

My Alfa also rattles under acceleration, and the dealer was unable to fix it, and they gave me such a dumb explanation as to why it rattled, that I've had to learn to live with it... They said that it was due to the "water recirculation" inside the engine... Yeah, right, as if water rattled... :rolleyes:

Just my five cents,

Ant

1 - 20 of 26 Posts