Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the car back from a gearbox and clutch (and slave cyl) change on Monday and noticed a creaking noise. Sounds different from the clutch squeaking noise I've read about on here though.

Only when I'm setting off from rest there is a noise - sounds like a metal to metal type creak - that seems to be coming from the steering column. I had a go at taking the column apart at the weekend (i.e. before the g/box change) as I was having trouble getting out my dials to swap for silver ones. All I could do though was remove the three hex bolts from underneath then realise I am useless and it wasn't going to come apart.

I also read about a creak coming from the front upper wishbone here but it seems to me that it is different as it only happens when moving off, not a general sound as the suspension moves.

Anybody got any ideas?
Thanks, Jack

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I think I have the same symptom & am suspecting the strut mount. I still have to investigaste though...

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
AS I pull away from a junction - yes - deffo different to a squeaky wishbone noise...

·
Registered
416 Posts
Jack, been experiencing the same low speed creak... on move off and coming to rest. Sounded like an old boat :)

I tried silicon spraying the front suspension to establish the cause - there's no movement in the suspension parts and the spray didn't remove the creak.

Tried spraying the drive shaft where it enters the nearside wheel and back into the engine compartment. That was where the creak was coming from.

Don't know if I've cured it or if there's an underlying problem. One things for sure - don't go changing suspension parts or steering bits before isolating the source of the creak.

NB. Halfords Silicon Spray £3.99

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oooo interesting, let us know how it develops. Did you spray then rock the car back and forth a bit?

I think a guy at work has some silicone spray lying around. Seeing as I have nothing to do at work lately that'll eat up some time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts