Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

For the second time in just over a year my 1.6 has thrown its thrust washers into the sump. The engineer who fixed it last time says that the clutch is at fault. This time round I have experienced what felt like hydraulic failure but once the workshop had removed the gearbox and flywheel they realised that the crankshaft had excessive end-play. The clutch plate has some unusual wear patterns as well.

Has anyone else had experience with this issue and can advise?

I am scared to fix this engine again as I do not know what else may break in the near future. I would think that the engine may have undergone stress (which it should not have) as a result of the crank being able to move some 7mm.

With this in mind I am considering a second-hand 2.0 motor which I am told is an easy proposition. Does anything need to be changed or modified to make this work?

The engine supplier says that as long as I keep my original ECU, manifold and injection system everything should just go straight in. Does this sound right?

Any advice and help would be appreciated,

Richard

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Swap everything over to the new engine and you should be OK. Not sure of the history of 147's in SA, but over here we had several different models of engine (CF2, CF3, etc). There were subtle differences in the bits on the outside, but the actual block/head/etc should be the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for a quick and informative reply.

I have purchased the second engine and will be installing it next week. At the same time as this, the clutch will be getting a full service and I will do a cambelt service on the second-hand engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts