Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a problem with my connect Satnav. As soon as the car starts moving, the symbol on the screen starts to revolve, faster and faster as the car speeds up. I suspect the compass which tells the car which direction it's pointing in has failed. The dealer's first gambit was "there's nothing wrong with it", which is clearly not true.

Anyone else had this problem and if so what did it turn out to be?
cheers
Patrick.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer is Mangoletsi in Knutsford UK. I suspect they tested it only while the car was stationary and then claimed it worked fine. They told me that they'd road tested it but that must be a lie since they would have seen the problem straight away.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please describe which symbol and which screen EXACTLY, as I have I think a probable answer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The screen is the colour screen in the connect Nav+ system.

The symbol is the tiny arrow shaped symbol which represents the position of my car. Normally the head of the arrow points in the compass direction that the car is travelling. However, what's happening now is that the arrow points in a random direction when the car is stationary. As soon as I start moving it starts to spin, and spins faster and faster as speed increases. This means it's impossible for the system to determine where I am close enough to navigate.

By the way it was working perfectly until a couple of days ago.

The GPS locator is still working correctly because the arrow is pretty close to where I really am, it's just being screwed up by the rotating compass angle.

cheers
Patrick.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like your "internal electric compass" is buggered.... Get your dealer to check it out

·
Registered
638 Posts
Tell the the dealer to get into the car without a map and give him a location to drive to and tell him that if he can get there using the SatNav then you won't complain.

However, if he can't get you anywhere near that location, ask for him to repair the damn thing and give you some sort of goody as compensation.

(BTW: a good trick with all these GPS things is to set the destination somewhere where there isn't a very good reception, so you are sure to win whatever the outcome fo the dealer's tests)....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You would not believe this, but despite the fault above being present constantly since Tuesday evening until some time this morning, it miraculously fixed itself as I was on my way to the Alfa dealer to show them the problem late in the morning today!!!! I didn't touch any buttons at the time. The only unusual thing I had done in the minutes before was put my SIM card into the telephone slot (which I don't do very often). I can't imagine this would reset the compass gyro.

I didn't expect that since it had shown no signs of being an intermittent fault before.

We'll see if it comes back again later.

cheers
Patrick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts