Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

Was chatting to a fellow Alfa enthusiast about this cold snap we're currently 'enjoying' and the effect it has on Alfas. He said an old trick was to put a piece of cardboard between the grill and radiator to keep your alfa nice and snug. I firstly asked if he was having a laugh and then if he had done it. He said he wasn't having a laugh.

Was just wondering if anybody else had tried this out?

Cheers

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
I'm sure that type of thing used to be used WAY back in the 70's, but I certainly wouldn't try it on my Car nowdays !!!!!.........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks... I'm sure I will.

lol! I know, but he insisted that it worked and the only thing to be wary of is loads of motorway miles. He even said it seems a strange thing to do to a half decent car.

I think I'll keep my cardboard for boxes for now and not for regulating the temperature of my 147!

·
Registered
154 Posts
In the '70s people used to say it was for cars from the '50s.
Thermostats are a lot more reliable than 30+ years ago but if your car isn't getting up to temperature it could be a faulty thermostat.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Keepa' Da Engine, und der Fraulein Warm?

'The old '56 Merc, complete with chain operated radiator blind. Wunderbar for keeping the passion on the back seat well toasted. Vorsprung Durch Technik, fifties style? :D :cheese:

·
Registered
528 Posts
I don't think putting cardboard dates from the fifties, more like 20's or 30's! I can't believe someone thinks this an imaginative idea! Whatever next, putting cardboard over your windscreen to keep the frost off?

N

·
0 Posts
Wouldn't this only help if the fan was driven directly from the engine
and not from a separate thermostat controlled electric motor?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I used to have a small immersion type heater fitted in the bottom radiator hose in my 1946 MG TC. You plugged it into the mains at night and everything was nice and warm to start in the morning. Bad idea when you forgot to unplug befoe driving off:wow:. A parrafin greenhouse heater under the sump was also useful if you had a garage. Although -10c some nights my 147 gets to 90c in about 20mins. If I had to I would cover half the rad with cardboard and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The morris minor was used by many students such as myself in the early 70s and in winter the heater was so rubbish that one would try anything to increase the temp.Cardboard in front of the rad was a common practise.May be laughable now but in the 70s a morris minor could be bought for 30-50 quid and it would do 40 mpg.

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
Hello

Was chatting to a fellow Alfa enthusiast and I was talking about how much more fuel my 147 is using during this cold snap, due the engine not running at its optimal temperature. He suggested putting a piece of cardboard between the grill and radiator. He said that would keep the engine at a higher temperature thus increasing fuel economy. I firstly asked if he was having a laugh and then if he had done it. He said he wasn't having a laugh and it works.

Was just wondering if anybody else had tried this out?

Cheers
Forget the cardboard.
Get a new thermostat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts