Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been 3 months since I had the clutch master cylinder replaced, the car had no clutch, the peddal would go straight to the floor and come back again after trying to depress it.

there was brake fluid eetc etc.

Now this morning the very same thing happened...the ODO Meter flashed yesterday...didn't know what that meant but read something about that if it flashes there are problems.

Now Im waiting for 8h30 to call the people who replaced the clutch master cylinder 3months ago so that they can have a look at it again!!!

Times like this makes me want to SELL this car!!!:cry: :cry: :mad:

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Either there is a split in the hose into the master cylinder allowing air in or I'd say more likely your whole problem is the slave cylinder, which if on a 147 would mean brake fluid driping from the bottom of the bell housing.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Either there is a split in the hose into the master cylinder allowing air in or I'd say more likely your whole problem is the slave cylinder, which if on a 147 would mean brake fluid driping from the bottom of the bell housing.
and if that is the case then a new slave cylinder ,a new clutch and a lot of time fixing it as the gearbox has to come off to get at the slave cylinder and hence the reason the clutch should be changed....now that was designed by someone who wanted the Car owner to suffer both in time and money....

But is this for your 116 Guilietta or something else??? if the Guilietta then in wrong 'Lounge' ;) NB often when you replace the master cylinder the slave goes out in sympathy. On the 116 check to see if lot of fluid adound the rear Gearbox transaxle. My 116 Alfetta GTV used to do a slave cylinder every 3 years over 19 years...

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it's for the 147...Ive seen no leaks not on the floor where the car stands...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to let you know my 55 Plate 147 clutch went today at 60,000 miles. Seems that the clutch has a bit of bite when the pedal is pressed all the way down, but not enough to get in and out of gear. It had been occassionaly heavy at the bottom of the clutch. When pushing the pedal about 2 thirds of the way down it would be fine, then it would be a bit clunky and heavy the last third.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm sure I answered another post on this and as I said then it's a common problem for many makes of car since the master and slave cylinders are subjected to exactly the same stresses and strains they often go together. If the master goes first the slave will always go soon after!! Especially if you try limp home.

Spare a thought for me, last year I was in le mans and the master cylinder wet itself I knew we were on borrowed time then but with duct tape and brake fluid we limped home! Only to get a blow out 5 miles out of Dover!

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Just to let you know my 55 Plate 147 clutch went today at 60,000 miles. Seems that the clutch has a bit of bite when the pedal is pressed all the way down, but not enough to get in and out of gear. It had been occassionaly heavy at the bottom of the clutch. When pushing the pedal about 2 thirds of the way down it would be fine, then it would be a bit clunky and heavy the last third.
That would be the spring plate fingers worn through AND collapsed release bearing,or the spring in the master cylinder has snapped.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
I'm sure I answered another post on this and as I said then it's a common problem for many makes of car since the master and slave cylinders are subjected to exactly the same stresses and strains they often go together. If the master goes first the slave will always go soon after!! Especially if you try limp home.

Spare a thought for me, last year I was in le mans and the master cylinder wet itself I knew we were on borrowed time then but with duct tape and brake fluid we limped home! Only to get a blow out 5 miles out of Dover!
Degraded pipework and boiling brake fluid? Always best to go with DOT 5.1 if your having a track day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well done Smaky, you were correct. the clutch release bearings had worn and collapsed. So pretty much involved paying for a new clutch, very expensive. This job was done by AMC in Chelmsford, who were very helpful and did a great job. The clutch now feels lighter and smoother than it ever has.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts