Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Now deep into week 2 of 147 ownership, still grinning like a loon as I walk up to it on the street and plip the key BUT now starting to notice a few "things" that I'm not sure are real problems or just 147 idiosyncracies...

Clutch - The first half inch or so of travel seems to be a bit "floppy" with little resistance. It then disengages fine with biting point nice and close to the floor. Is this normal :confused: The flop seems to come and go as well.

It also feels a tiny bit on the heavy side (eg clutch foot on floor sat in traffic) but that could just be my paranoia.

Also - the "Lusso" badge on the side is broken. Have googled but can't seem to source a replacement. Breakers yard?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Breakers yard or ebay for the lusso badge.

The best place, and I mean THE best place for spares is 247spares.co.uk - they are just awesome. Put the part in your after, fill your details in and in about 30 mins you'll get either a phone call or email from a yard in the UK that'll have your part and can deliver within a few days.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, some differing opinions. To clarify, when the pedal is released the spring does return it to the very top, it is just when I put myfoot on it there is v.little resistance for the first half inch or so, then it takes up the slack normally.

Perhaps just a little play in the linkage? It's done 49k miles. Would bleeding the clutch help perhaps?

As it works fine I may adopt a wait-and-see approach for now. I have a 3 month warranty from the garage I bought it from which runs out beginning of November - so plenty of time to get some miles under the wheels and let things settle down.

Cheers all,

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think thats just a tiny bit of leverage/slack in the pedal before the clutch engages on its travel. Its only half inch at most... as long as the clutch is smooth and springy once it engages after the little half inch on top then I imagine its fine. i could be wrong now but i think its nothing!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bleed the clutch with an "easybleed" but after you have bled the clutch tighten up the bleed nipple but leave the easy bleed on the fluid resevoir and give it a few more pumps you should get a good and even pedal

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Might be the spring in the master cylinder its common on 147/156/GTs. Theres a thread on the forum somewhere about it...

It might also be the clutch begining to go. I had a similar prob and it got steadily worse until ther was about 4 inches of dead travel to the biting point. Then needed a new clutch. That was at 100,000 mind you, not 50 odd.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Slightly off subject but still about the 147 clutch, I've had my 147 for nearly 3 years now, from the very first time I drove it I heard a sort of grinding noise from the clutch when the car was almost warm.. I immediately took it back under warranty and they changed the clutch but the noise didn't go away, it only does it when the car is close to optimum running temp then it does goes away, it doesn't affect the clutch operation and hasn't got any worse. 3 years on and 40k later the clutch is still going strong but still have the grinding noise occasionally, the place I bought it from told me they had seen this before on the 147 and told me to keep an eye on it, I’m not worried about it but still curious to know what it is, anyone else with this problem or any ideas? cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Slightly off subject but still about the 147 clutch, I've had my 147 for nearly 3 years now, from the very first time I drove it I heard a sort of grinding noise from the clutch when the car was almost warm.. I immediately took it back under warranty and they changed the clutch but the noise didn't go away, it only does it when the car is close to optimum running temp then it does goes away, it doesn't affect the clutch operation and hasn't got any worse. 3 years on and 40k later the clutch is still going strong but still have the grinding noise occasionally, the place I bought it from told me they had seen this before on the 147 and told me to keep an eye on it, I’m not worried about it but still curious to know what it is, anyone else with this problem or any ideas? cheers
My clutch also does this. Long travel on the pedal too, I'm considering having the clutch replaced.
Sound like a good idea guys?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts